Forum > General

Upgrade to 2.4.4. - DESASTER

(1/3) > >>

Nicole:
I used Lazarus 2.2.2 in a Win 7 VM
and tried to upgrade to 2.2.4
using
lazarus-2.2.4-fpc-3.2.2-win64.exe

I wanted the IDE just to work on, - where I stopped my project yesterday.

And I ended up with a disaster, neither the IDE is really usable any more, nor any of my projects.
These are the details:

1)
There is one unit in my project, of which the project inspector lists it and the compiler says "is not there".
I re-added it, answered "yes" to "add path", - same results. "not found"
If the other units are found, I do not know.

2)
Source elements are "not found" any more, like e.g. the string-method "mid".

3)
All my components which were installed in 2.2.2 are gone.
Nearly all.
One is half installed. The one which I uninstalled in 2.2.2., because I disliked it.

4) Files are "double there" on "test", here 3 lines of an long list

WARNUNG: ppu ist zweimal vorhanden: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\zz fv\app.ppu, C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\fv\app.ppu
WARNUNG: ppu ist zweimal vorhanden: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\zz fv\asciitab.ppu, C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\fv\asciitab.ppu
WARNUNG: ppu ist zweimal vorhanden: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\zz fv\colortxt.ppu, C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\fv\colortxt.ppu

If anybody has a hint for me, it is very appreciated. But please be SURE, that the hint may work. Every attempt is at least one hour work for me. Under the line.

I will reset the VM to the snapshot of 2.2.2 now and hope, there will be a solution for the new version.

440bx:

--- Quote from: Nicole on December 01, 2022, 03:45:05 pm ---I will reset the VM to the snapshot of 2.2.2 now and hope, there will be a solution for the new version.

--- End quote ---
The simplest and safest would likely be to reset the VM to the snapshot of 2.2.2 and after that, install a completely separate instance of Lazarus/FPC using FPCUPDELUXE (choosing whatever version you want in the process.)

That way, you know that no matter what happens, you still have a working 2.2.2 installation.

HTH.

KodeZwerg:

--- Quote from: 440bx on December 01, 2022, 03:50:24 pm ---
--- Quote from: Nicole on December 01, 2022, 03:45:05 pm ---I will reset the VM to the snapshot of 2.2.2 now and hope, there will be a solution for the new version.

--- End quote ---
The simplest and safest would likely be to reset the VM to the snapshot of 2.2.2 and after that, install a completely separate instance of Lazarus/FPC using FPCUPDELUXE (choosing whatever version you want in the process.)

That way, you know that no matter what happens, you still have a working 2.2.2 installation.

HTH.

--- End quote ---
I just can second that plus, using [stable] and not the latest ensure that all should in theory be compatible and tested.
(on windows this way of doing would install 2.2.2 since 2.4.4 is not out yet)

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: Nicole on December 01, 2022, 03:45:05 pm ---3)
All my components which were installed in 2.2.2 are gone.
Nearly all.
One is half installed. The one which I uninstalled in 2.2.2., because I disliked it.

--- End quote ---

You need to rebuild the IDE once.

This is normal (unfortunately).
The installer though could do a better job, pointing it out.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: Nicole on December 01, 2022, 03:45:05 pm ---WARNUNG: ppu ist zweimal vorhanden: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\zz fv\app.ppu, C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\fv\app.ppu
WARNUNG: ppu ist zweimal vorhanden: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\zz fv\asciitab.ppu, C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\fv\asciitab.ppu
WARNUNG: ppu ist zweimal vorhanden: C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\zz fv\colortxt.ppu, C:\lazarus\fpc\3.2.2\units\x86_64-win64\fv\colortxt.ppu

If anybody has a hint for me, it is very appreciated. But please be SURE, that the hint may work. Every attempt is at least one hour work for me. Under the line.

--- End quote ---

This is odd.... The "zz fv" should not exist.

I have no idea, how this could have been created. I have an original Laz 2.2.4 installation and no such path exists.

I would recommend to "uninstall" or move the old Lazarus folder to some other place...
- Mind, a moved install will NOT work. But if it is moved back, then it will work again.
- There is no need to fiddle in the windows registry (all that is in the registry is the path to the uninstaller, and file associations for icons and dbl-click - the installer will update that anyway)
- Your IDE config is in the "Primary config path" usually: C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\lazarus  and should be kept. (you can back it up)

Then do a new install.

As for the other issues you had, I wouldn't be sure. But given the above, if you chose do try fixing it: Start with the above. Then rebuild (for your packages)

At this point, it also depends on what backups you have of project files.
Once you had them open in a broken environment (i.e. an IDE that does not work), it is possible they were changed (and broken too).
If your IDE (including the 2.2.2) was configured to create backups, check the backup folder for an older *.lpi (with a file-date before you tried to upgrade)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version