Recent

Author Topic: recommend me a second language to learn  (Read 1328 times)

SymbolicFrank

Re: recommend me a second language to learn
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 03:34:00 pm »
If you want to do something with the web, Typescript is probably your best bet. It turns JavaScript into a half-decent programming language.

Bogen85

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2022, 04:29:08 pm »
I think you should learn Python, that way, you will appreciate the good things in Pascal !

As much as I don't like Python, I agree. Not only to appreciate Pascal more, but because Python is so widely used it can be very detrimental and limiting not to know it well, and also not be able to use it well.

Another recommendation would be, learn C and C++.  Knowing Pascal, C will be fairly easy to learn.  C++ is a different ballgame, the reason I recommend learning it is because more and more basic programming examples are written using it (particularly using its libraries).  Not knowing C and C++ is quite a handicap.  Just for the record, I very strongly dislike C and dislike** C++ but, learning them will make you appreciate Pascal even more :)

I agree, Not knowing C/C++ (moreso C) is quite a handicap, and while it is not same category as Python, it can be very detrimental not to know it.

And, like with Python, learning and C/C++ will highlight a lot of what Pascal does better.

Also, learning both C/C++ and Python will expand your "toolkit" as far as what you can do in Pascal.

Both by doing things natively in Pascal you would have not done before, and also by leveraging C libraries.

And with Python, as Alex pointed out, being able to write plugins for SublimeText and FPC/Lazarus programs like CudaText.

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2022, 04:33:47 pm »
If you want to do something with the web, Typescript is probably your best bet. It turns JavaScript into a half-decent programming language.
+1
For me it would be in this order:
1. C
2. Typescript
3. Python

Ericktux

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2022, 04:48:37 pm »
Thank you all very much for your comments, since I was a child I always liked "desktop applications" software like vlc, ccleaner, winamp, partition magic, ontrack disk manager, messenger live, and the like.
I am an independent programmer and I like to create, I have a lot of imagination.  :)

3oheicrw

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 10:47:57 am »
I suggest the Virgil language:

https://github.com/titzer/virgil

If you read the profile of the author of it Ben L. Titzer you will know why :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018