Recent

Author Topic: Gitlab Pipeline Failing  (Read 984 times)

Aruna

Gitlab Pipeline Failing
« on: November 30, 2022, 12:03:47 pm »
Hi, I am having issues when trying to push to Gitlab using the terminal from my machine. Says failed pipeline then asks me to verify my identity with a credit card. Then I tried to use the small button with the '+' sign and add files using Gitlab I have the same issue. Is this normal and known behavior?

I have two primary concerns.
- Not everyone will have access to a credit/debit card and not everyone will be comfortable doing so even if they did. No other alternative options are given.
- Can I use old-fashioned Git where I usually never have any problems? If not can I put together stuff on my local system then zip/tar and email it?

Let's just say worst case scenario impossible to use Gitlab or Git then what are my options? How do I get my code peer-reviewed and hopefully merged into main/trunk?

I have attached a screenshot of what GitLab emailed back to me.
Thanks, Aruna

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Gitlab Pipeline Failing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 12:48:46 pm »
"Pipelines" (CI) are an optional feature.

Apparently it is turned on, on our gitlab repository, but forks do not need to enable it. 
You probably turned it on by accident. (At least in my personal fork it is not enabled, and iirc never was).

Go to the settings tab of your forked Lazarus repo. Under General, expand "Visibility, project features, permissions", find "CI/CD" and turn it off.

Besides that, the error should not stop you from committing. It will just tell you for every commit, that pipelines aren't run.

The reason that happens with Lazarus (and fpc), but maybe not with other repo is that we have pipeline config in the repo. So when the config is there AND the feature enabled, then ....

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 01:08:19 pm »
NEVER verify your identity with your credit card. That sounds fishy.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Aruna

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 01:15:41 pm »
"Pipelines" (CI) are an optional feature.
Ah.. good to know. Thank you.

Apparently it is turned on, on our gitlab repository, but forks do not need to enable it. 
You probably turned it on by accident. (At least in my personal fork it is not enabled, and iirc never was).
I just forked the repository as usual and I don't think I messed with any settings. Could it be the original repository settings are forked over as well maybe?

Go to the settings tab of your forked Lazarus repo. Under General, expand "Visibility, project features, permissions", find "CI/CD" and turn it off.
That worked. Oh man, you just made my life a whole lot easier. Much appreciated and thank you!

Besides that, the error should not stop you from committing. It will just tell you for every commit, that pipelines aren't run.
I see.. many thanks again.

The reason that happens with Lazarus (and fpc), but maybe not with other repo is that we have pipeline config in the repo. So when the config is there AND the feature enabled, then ....
I am curious now.. why do we require a pipeline?  :-\

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 01:19:57 pm »
Pipelines are just simple compiles and tests roughly after each commit.

It is the same as the Jenkins we had for a while years back.

Aruna

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 01:21:31 pm »
NEVER verify your identity with your credit card. That sounds fishy.
I, fortunately, do not have access to the cards at will, they are closely monitored by the purse strings holder, my better half. I was quite surprised when they asked for my credit card though  ::)

Aruna

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 01:25:03 pm »
Pipelines are just simple compiles and tests roughly after each commit.
Ah.. so to ensure we did not break anything? It is a safety mechanism?

It is the same as the Jenkins we had for a while years back.
Heard of Jenkins but never actually used it.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 02:13:40 pm »
Pipelines are automated jobs.
In our case to compile the code in the repo for diff targets, so we don't break it that easily.

"Credit cards" for identity. (and I guess damage prevention)
Depending on your account/project type, running pipelines may not be free. For us (as open source project) GitLab gives as some free time.
As pipelines run our own code on their server, they need to have enough server capacity available. We get an allotment of time (in minutes).

The credit card is, so we don't abuse those resources.
Otherwise people create thousands of accounts with dummy projects, and use the free minutes for mining.

I don't know if the settings get copied.

I did indeed do my fork long ago, and before pipelines were setup.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018