Forum > Designer

"TestAll" and other removed example projects

<< < (2/6) > >>

JuhaManninen:
How about putting the TestAll project to lcl/tests directory?
As noted it looks more like a test application than an example application. Even its name includes "test".
I understood Aruna is fixing its bugs under Linux. It should be tested on many platforms before putting it back. LCL is advertised as a cross-platform library and such a test application should demonstrate it.

dbannon:
That makes good sense. I'd prefer to see it in a dir below lcl/tests but thats just me.

Aruna, can you test on "all" platforms ?  Today that means Windows 7 (?) and Windows 11, MacOS, Intel and Arm, Linux - at least eg Ubuntu and Fedora and on at least Gnome, xfce and Plasma IMHO.

I can help you with everything there xcept the MacOS Arm.  I use VMs for most of the Linux ones, have an aging Sierra Mac and access few old Windows machines.

Davo

Aruna:

--- Quote from: dbannon on November 28, 2022, 06:53:54 am ---Can we have extra Categories ? Absolutely ! 

--- End quote ---
This is a very good thing. One is able to extend as and when required. Nice!

--- Quote from: dbannon on November 28, 2022, 06:53:54 am ---The Example Window will accept any new category you define (and thats just a case of using it as Category in a Metadata file. This rewite was really about identifying suitable Beginner projects, there were complaints that a beginner was opening the first example they found and, on average, most Examples are not beginner fodder !

--- End quote ---
Complaints huh? Well, I would not have been able to complain due to me being speechless after going through the code in 'TestAllForm.pp' it impressed the hell out of me when I realized most of the heavy lifting was done dynamically through code.

At the same time it scared me to death, I was thinking 'Hell No! What did this guy smoke? This is not newbie stuff. Even a seasoned Lazarus+FPC pro would have a hard time comprehending what was going on.. '

Does anyone know who wrote 'testall' in the first place? I have lots of questions but no original author to ask?

--- Quote from: dbannon on November 28, 2022, 06:53:54 am ---The other categories exist just to make it a touch easier for people browsing.

--- End quote ---
Yes restructuring things the way you have will definitely help, not just newbies but most folks browsing.

--- Quote from: Aruna on November 28, 2022, 04:06:04 am ---If I was to start putting examples together for each component that effectively demonstrates how to access and use a given component's properties would that be a useful addition or not needed?

--- Quote from: dbannon on November 28, 2022, 06:53:54 am ---Not my call Aruna but my guess is if the quality is there, they would be very welcome.

I suggest you start slow, get one together, make a metadata file and try a pull request. Its a bit sad we don't see Juha quite as much here as we used to, he is very welcoming to new comers.

Davo

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I will start working on one single component, say a TButton for starters, and then if it delivers the quality and effectively demonstrates how each property works I guess we can move forward from there. Else I will still continue putting stuff together for my own personal learning and hopefully will help other newcomers someday. I cloned your repo so should I work with that? Or?? Let me know..

Aruna:

--- Quote from: JuhaManninen on November 28, 2022, 10:19:25 am ---How about putting the TestAll project to lcl/tests directory?
As noted it looks more like a test application than an example application. Even its name includes "test".
I understood Aruna is fixing its bugs under Linux. It should be tested on many platforms before putting it back. LCL is advertised as a cross-platform library and such a test application should demonstrate it.

--- End quote ---
I have it working on my Linux system. I am still testing and trying to break it. So far it has resisted all my attempts. I am not experienced enough yet to suggest where it should go but am sure that is just a technicality the team will figure out.

Aruna:

--- Quote from: dbannon on November 28, 2022, 11:29:27 pm ---That makes good sense. I'd prefer to see it in a dir below lcl/tests but thats just me.

Aruna, can you test on "all" platforms ?  Today that means Windows 7 (?) and Windows 11, MacOS, Intel and Arm, Linux - at least eg Ubuntu and Fedora and on at least Gnome, xfce and Plasma IMHO.

I can help you with everything there except the MacOS Arm.  I use VMs for most of the Linux ones, have an aging Sierra Mac and access few old Windows machines.

Davo

--- End quote ---
Oh dear, I have a few distributions in a VM I can certainly test on those. I run Classic Gnome andt xfce is a click away. Testing in all the Windows versions you have mentioned will be difficult I only have Windows 7 which I used for remote work when I was a call center agent but rarely use now.  I know I have a Raspberry Pi and Firefly lying around somewhere and a whole lot of Arduino Nano's. I can certainly test on the Pi. Or maybe just set up a VM with all required testing OS's but getting Windows will be difficult for me I really do not have the $:$$ to purchase all the required versions. I have to think about this one..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version