Recent

Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to Ubuntu 22.10 and began having issues with IDE?  (Read 1781 times)

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
Hey there Y'all,

Has anyone upgraded to Ubuntu 22.10 and been having issues with the IDE?

Ubuntu 22.10 is now using GNOME 43 and I had no issues using the IDE before I upgraded and now both Lazarus 2.2.2 and 2.3 are giving me grief on the Object Inspector and the Form Editor.

I even re-compiled both those versions after I upgraded so they were linked with the newest of the libs...

Funny thing is, that a very old and never re-compiled Lazarus 2.0.12 is working fine... Rather a strange conundrum, no?

I will appreciate any insight, be it as wild as you can think of, cuz at the moment I'm baffled why the IDE misbehaves under Ubuntu 22.10 with GNOME 43!!

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

MarkMLl

Re: Has anyone upgraded to Ubuntu 22.10 and began having issues with IDE?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 09:30:02 am »
Giving you grief HOW exactly? Is this gtk2 or an attempt at 3? Have you tried rebuilding for Qt5?

I moved onto the "Testing" ("Bookworm") version of Debian a few weeks ago, and have seen no obvious new problems. An existing problem which persists in places is filenames in dialog(u)e boxes which appear blank until clicked on, a related problem in listboxes was fixed by a late fix to the gtk2 libraries.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 09:50:41 am »
Gus, personally I would not use any of the short life Ubuntu's, by time you have it working as expected, its time to update again. But I have also seen a few teething problems in such releases that indicates to me they are often built on a "wonder if this will work ?" basis.

The long term releases seem to have less updates in the weeks after release too. I am about to update to 22.04 now that I know I can strip out all the silly snaps.

But, as I have a recent U2210 VM on hand for testing my app, I just put Lazarus on, my model is usually toe install FPC and FPC-Source from the official repo and install Lazarus from source. All worked well as far as I can see. Just what grief are you being given ?

EDIT: And what Desktop ?

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 10:23:42 am »
I upgraded my Ubuntu Mate to 22.10 and had been using it for several weeks. I reinstalled my system back to version 22.04 because it crashed too often with my DLink wifi.

I was busy so I only occasionally run Lazarus on Ubuntu 22.10. I didn't notice any issue running Lazarus 2.3.0 on Ubuntu Mate 22.10.

Ubuntu 22.10 is now using GNOME 43 and I had no issues using the IDE before I upgraded and now both Lazarus 2.2.2 and 2.3 are giving me grief on the Object Inspector and the Form Editor.

What was the issue? Can you provide some screenshots?

Ubuntu Mate uses Mate Desktop, which is based on GNOME 2. Maybe that's why I did not experience the problem you're having.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 08:27:51 am »
Hey Y'all,

Sorry I wasn't more specific on the details of the misbehaving edits on the Object Inspector and having objects like the Main Menu and the Action List not show on the Form Editor

I mainly opted not to enter specifics because it's not something I can screenshot.
But I'll give it a go at explaining it, maybe I can paint a good picture.

Mostly what I've noticed is that after a while, because this issue does not start right after opening, of using the TEdits on the Object Inspector the cursor gets stuck on that particular TEdit.
Well, that's what it feels like because any typing on that TEdit produces nothing.
But if you use the Vertical Scroll bar and push up and down, then the TEdit gets unstuck, and all your typing is shown.
So that's what happens on the TEdits of the Object Inspector.

With the Form Editor, it's mainly the fact that the type of objects that don't have a GUI element, like the main menu icon and the task list icon, they just don't show.

And my system is the new Ubuntu 22.10 that is now using GNOME 43. I really don't know if GTK2 is still supported, or fully supported under GNOME 43!!!
I'm not even sure if recompiling Lazarus makes it a GTK3-4-5 or a GTK2.
I'm sorry I'll have to plea ignorance on this.

But what I do know is that Lazarus 2.0.12, has no issues. And that version is very old in terms of technology months... Right?

Hope I may have given a better idea of what's happening.

Cheers,
Gus

MarkMLl

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 08:53:12 am »
Can't say much, preparing for a planned power outage.

The IDE's Help -> About will tell you what widget set you're using.

I think it would help enormously if you could try a different one.

I'll try to post an xref to a related issue fixed by a GTK update in newer OSes.

Later: thread at https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,60857.0.html includes a command to get the current gtk libraries version.

MarkMLl
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:46:12 am by MarkMLl »

dbannon

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 11:43:44 pm »
Very easy to switch to Qt5 and its quite a transparent process. That would certainly isolate the widget set as an issue.

Install (from Ubuntu Repo) libqt5pas-dev - it will bring in maybe 10 meg ....

Open the Project Options, second last entry on left hand menu, Additions and Overrides. First, add a new mode to your build, the little ... button right of build modes. Call it Qt5.

Then, click "Add LCL Widget type", add Qt5, look at the matrix below there, you will see how intersecting lines and columns work, set you Qt5 build mode to assert Qt5.

Done !

Now just select that mode in the main Lazarus screen, lower button bar, near LHS and Build.

Ubuntu (and Debian) have not announced any lower level of support for GTK2 but Debian have declared it "legacy" and are strongly encouraging no new packages based on GTK2, it now generates a Lintian "Error" ?

Several of use tried it out but in my case and probably others, we just had a quick poke around, it it is something that only shows up after a delay, well, different story..

Good luck.
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 07:04:02 am »
Hey Y'all,

I understand that a quick solution would be to forfeit GTK all together and use Qt.

The crux of the matter is that I'm sticking with Ubuntu, which as you know, is based in GNOME's GTK, so avoiding the issue is no solution at all.

But, while I didn't have many bitters, it appears that I have my answer and I'm probably the only one having this issue.

This pretty much answers my question but leaves me with the task to solve this conundrum by myself.

Many thanks to all that answered!!

Cheers,
Gus

MarkMLl

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 08:21:08 am »
I understand that a quick solution would be to forfeit GTK all together and use Qt.

The crux of the matter is that I'm sticking with Ubuntu, which as you know, is based in GNOME's GTK, so avoiding the issue is no solution at all.

(a) It's not a "quick solution", it's telling the rest of us what's going wrong so that the community has a chance of fixing the problem.

(b) I use Debian. Debian tends towards GTK. Debian also has numerous packages which use Qt for their UI. So we are emphatically not telling you to do anything that will break your system or make it in any way less pure.

MarkMLl

Zvoni

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 09:23:31 am »
Has anyone upgraded to Ubuntu 22.10 and began having issues with IDE?
I've "sidegraded" from Ubuntu 19.10/Gnome to Manjaro/Cinnamon in, well 2019, and never had any problems again, be it GTK2/3 or QT, in IDE or out of IDE
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

dbannon

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 11:16:32 am »
Gus, I suggested a switch Qt5 to determine, for certain, its a GTK2 issue. Not as a solution, just as a diagnostics test. It would still be useful to know ...

Davo

Bogen85

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 12:50:38 pm »

The Qt5 (and Qt5) flavors work fine on Gnome (Gtk based) and Xfce4 (Gtk) based. I run Xfce4 and Qt5/Qt6 apps work fine.

Unlike KDE (KDE being Qt5 based) packages, Qt5 packages don't suffer from tight coupling with the KDE/Plasma environments.

However, your concern may be related to theming and preferences in you desktop environment that are not integrated with Qt5/Qt6 in the same way they are integrated with Gtk applications.

That would really be the only thing off hand that I would know you would be giving up in switching from Gtk2 to Qt5/Qt6 for Lazarus.

Other than you would be gaining a lot. Which I would not say that Qt5/Qt6 are better than Gtk3/Gtk4 overall, for Lazarus Gtk3 is mature yet, and I can't think of any scenario where Gtk2 is better than Qt5/Qt6 for Lazarus.
EDIT: I meant to say Lazarus Gtk3 is NOT mature yet

I'd say the opposite. I use CudaText (a Lazarus app) and the find the Gtk2 flavor very deficient in regard to font rendering compared to Qt5/Qt6. There are other visual aspects I don't recall off hand, but for me the Gtk2 flavor is useless for me as it does not support Ligature font rendering.

The Gtk3 flavor does, but it is not ready yet...

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:34:06 am by Bogen85 »

dbannon

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 12:30:11 am »
Other than you would be gaining a lot. Which I would not say that Qt5/Qt6 are better than Gtk3/Gtk4 overall, for Lazarus Gtk3 is mature yet,.....
immature ?

But yes, I agree, Qt5 is generally at least on a par with GTK2 with everything and ahead in a some of respects. Debian has depreciated GTK2 so an alternative must be looked at sooner or later. Wait for GTK3 or use a fully functional Qt5 now knowing there is already a Qt6 in lazarus-main that is, apart from one upstream issue, already usable. But the fact is, end users prefer GTK* because, I suspect, its a "safe" choice when they have to choose.

In my app, tomboy-ng, github downloads are 4:1 in favour of GTK2. While its distributed other ways that I cannot see so readily, thats telling. But I am in the (slow) process of updating the version in Debian and I have chosen to make the new version there Qt5 only. Will be interesting to see who complains ....

Davo

Bogen85

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 12:32:35 am »
Other than you would be gaining a lot. Which I would not say that Qt5/Qt6 are better than Gtk3/Gtk4 overall, for Lazarus Gtk3 is mature yet, and I can't think of any scenario where Gtk2 is better than Qt5/Qt6 for Lazarus.

I meant to say Lazarus Gtk3 is not mature yet...

I'd say the opposite. I use CudaText (a Lazarus app) and the find the Gtk2 flavor very deficient in regard to font rendering compared to Qt5/Qt6. There are other visual aspects I don't recall off hand, but for me the Gtk2 flavor is useless for me as it does not support Ligature font rendering.

The Gtk3 flavor does, but it is not ready yet...

And for me ligature font rendering is something I consider a must have now that I've grown accustomed to it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:36:22 am by Bogen85 »

MarkMLl

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 10:04:18 am »
Debian has depreciated GTK2

Despite the fact that Debian's /deprecated/ it, its value has not /depreciated/ :-)

I must say that details of formatting etc. tend to vary between widget sets, getting things positioned pixel-perfect can take work. However that's not the name of the game here: OP has reported a problem that he can easily reproduce even though others have not seen it to the same extent, and for the good of the community- whose value I'm sure he /appreciates/- he needs to try a different widget set so that we have some idea what's going on.

MarkMLl

TinyPortal © 2005-2018