Recent

Author Topic: Vector Pascal Compiler  (Read 1135 times)

3oheicrw

Vector Pascal Compiler
« on: December 13, 2022, 12:33:19 pm »
It implemented a language similar to Delphi but not as compatible as Free Pascal. It uses GCC and NASM. Currently it only works on Linux (Windows target is broken, no one maintained it as the developer uses Linux). The most interesting thing about it is it supports Unicode operators and Unicode variable names. It's written in Java and needs Java 17+.

https://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~wpc/reports/compilers/compilerindex/x25.html

What do you think about it?

MarkMLl

Re: Vector Pascal Compiler
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 12:37:53 pm »
I've looked at it and been moderately impressed- particularly by the target list.

However it's a while since I've managed to get it to compile.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Bogen85

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 12:39:35 pm »
Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. $ cat /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
  2. [main]
  3. gpgcheck=1
  4. installonly_limit=3
  5. clean_requirements_on_remove=True
  6. best=True
  7. skip_if_unavailable=False
  8. exclude=java-* *-java* *jdk* javapackages-* yum

;D

:D

Bogen85

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 12:50:49 pm »
It uses GCC and NASM. Currently it only works on Linux (Windows target is broken, no one maintained it as the developer uses Linux). The most interesting thing about it is it supports Unicode operators and Unicode variable names. It's written in Java and needs Java 17+.

Interesting on the Unicode.

Does that mean it is case sensitive?

Case sensitivity is harder in Unicode (not impossible) than ASCII.

I may read up on it, but (for me) the Java pill is a hard one to swallow (And I'm no stranger to Java setup and application support).

Bogen85

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 12:57:27 pm »
I took a look at the web page.

It appears dated, but the Sourceforge repository has been updated recently.

Does not appear to have aarch64 support.

While it does have some interesting features (the Unicode variable name support) lack of support for other than 32/64 bit AMD/Intel, and being java based, make it impossible for me to consider. The Java based part I could possible get over, but lack of support for aarch64 would make it unusable for me in many contexts.

Bogen85

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 01:01:15 pm »
Ok, still case in-sensitive: 

Treatment of identifiers is case indifferent, in that upper case and lower case versions of a given letter are treated as equivalent. Thus the identifier �δ� may al so be written �Δ�.� Identifiers drawn from these alphabets can be strings of letters or digits starting with a letter.

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 01:11:50 pm »
Ok, still case in-sensitive: 

Treatment of identifiers is case indifferent, in that upper case and lower case versions of a given letter are treated as equivalent. Thus the identifier �δ� may al so be written �Δ�.� Identifiers drawn from these alphabets can be strings of letters or digits starting with a letter.
Otherwise it should not be called Pascal...
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

MarkMLl

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 01:17:00 pm »
I'm in the middle of doing important paperwork so must be brief.

The important thing to appreciate is that this was designed with the intention of learning from the operator set that Iverson put into APL, even if compatibility with APL as a programming language was low-priority.

Wirth was aware of APL since he'd supervised Breed's implementation while on the staff at Stanford. However he'd obviously got his hands sufficiently full working on the ALGOL-compatible angle that he couldn't learn from that experience- even if he'd wished to.

Another language to be aware of is Seed-7 if only on account of its extensible operators.

MarkMLl

3oheicrw

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 02:59:32 pm »
I'm in the middle of doing important paperwork so must be brief.

The important thing to appreciate is that this was designed with the intention of learning from the operator set that Iverson put into APL, even if compatibility with APL as a programming language was low-priority.

Wirth was aware of APL since he'd supervised Breed's implementation while on the staff at Stanford. However he'd obviously got his hands sufficiently full working on the ALGOL-compatible angle that he couldn't learn from that experience- even if he'd wished to.

Another language to be aware of is Seed-7 if only on account of its extensible operators.

MarkMLl

You are interested in the history, maybe you will like it: https://portablesimula.github.io/github.io/

I'm too young to know about the history of Pascal. When I go to school Pascal was already phased out of schools. I learned basic programming with C++ (C++98), and later Java.

MarkMLl

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 03:11:32 pm »
You are interested in the history, maybe you will like it: https://portablesimula.github.io/github.io/

I'd also remind you of Alan Kay's story of poring over the Simula listing which he and another student had unfolded the length of a corridor.

Like Modula-2, Kay's Smalltalk was enormously influential without being particularly loved at the time... for many of the same reasons, in particular lack of accessible implementations.

I'm too young to know about the history of Pascal. When I go to school Pascal was already phased out of schools. I learned basic programming with C++ (C++98), and later Java.

Well, I can't claim to have been a "fly on the wall", but I've been involved with Pascal since it first started to move to micros... perhaps around '82. My interest in ALGOL and the surrounding politics is more recent.

MarkMLl

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 05:16:04 pm »
This thread has been locked.

The poster was banned a time ago because he posted daily discussion starters with simplistic posts containing only a link. He also used multiple accounts and resisted moderator efforts to reign him in.

When he recently came back, moderators gave him a chance, but apparently he is falling back into old habits on all accounts (posting many half off-topic posts in quick succession, having multiple forumaccounts)

This is the last and final warning to you Giahung. Behave or be banned forever
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:05:12 pm by marcov »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018