2 (1.4%)
80-89
1 (0.7%)
90-99
0 (0%)
100+
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Author Topic: Who are the Pascal lovers ?  (Read 21985 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Who are the Pascal lovers ?
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2022, 07:48:51 pm »
Guys this time I did nothing again and you did that to me, why friends?

You are banned. Forever.

This includes any new account you create.

You had your chance (several actually). That's it. End of story. No discussion.

Joanna

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2022, 12:00:55 am »
Sorry for last report I guess my browser had not refreshed .

I just assume these sorts of people get paid to troll, it’s easier that way.
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2022, 11:08:23 pm »
5% of young people, not that bad for and old language, how many c, c++ out there with young people?

PierceNg

• SamadhiWeb
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2022, 04:09:50 pm »
Going by the sidebar stats, seems like steady stream of new user registrations recently. Wonder from where they found this forum.

Joanna

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2022, 02:52:09 am »
Going by the sidebar stats, seems like steady stream of new user registrations recently. Wonder from where they found this forum.
Hopefully they aren’t trolls migrating over from IRC making sock puppet accounts.  :-\

I’ve sometimes looked at the stats for members and many if not the majority of them have never posted anything in forums. I wonder why people who have nothing to say would go through the trouble of registering besides being able to look at details about other members ?
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2022, 05:10:14 am »
One thing I like about this forum is moderators do their best to keep it clean from trolls and spammers.

That can be achieved of course with the help of users. So if anyone see a spam post, swear word, or suspicious user activity, please click the Report to moderator link.

440bx

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2022, 06:24:25 am »
One thing I like about this forum is moderators do their best to keep it clean from trolls and spammers.
I agree. 

The moderators seem to consistently draw the line in the right place not just for trolls and spammers but, even for regular users who may get a little emotional and get carried away a little too far (mea culpa at least once.)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:37:49 am by 440bx »
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

xfnHb7

« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2022, 11:37:56 am »
I'm not a Pascal lover and I have never commented on this thread. The troll spamming on this thread is not me. Please have a bit respect for me. Everything I posted is serious. My account was banned for no reasons, I was publicly called by marcov to be shamed. I use random characters as account name to keep anonymity but it's not possible now. I have no bad intentions or enough energy to troll or spam. I feel exhausted. I'm very lonely and only want to find someone to talk with. It's Advent Of Code, the developer of the tool I use is busy with the event. My bug reports are not yet resolved. While I'm waiting for him please let me here talking with people a bit. Thanks.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2022, 01:53:03 pm »
I'm not a Pascal lover and I have never commented on this thread. The troll spamming on this thread is not me. Please have a bit respect for me.

We did allow you to come back, didn't we?

Everything I posted is serious.

We made it clear the last round that using multiple accounts and posting multiple new threads a day that are not on-topic is considered bad behaviour. Trying to evade moderator scrutiny isn't allowed either. Moreover moderator decisions are not fodder for discussion threads.

My account was banned for no reasons,

See above.

I was publicly called by marcov to be shamed.

For shameful behaviour, after we allowed you back a few weeks to check if you might have improved your behaviour.

I use random characters as account name to keep anonymity but it's not possible now.

Your technical problems are your own responsibility. If that prohibits participating, then don't.

I have no bad intentions or enough energy to troll or spam. I feel exhausted. I'm very lonely and only want to find someone to talk with.

This is a Freepascal/Lazarus forum, and not a general social support forum to keep lonely people occupied (other than with FPC/Lazarus).  I think we are pretty relaxed and don't automatically intervene if a thread is a bit off topic (specially relation to the Wirthian languages has come up before). It needs to be pretty bad for moderators to intervene.

But you only start threads trying to incite off-topic discussion using simplistic posts that are usually heavier in URLs than actual content. There is no own survey of the products you URL-drop in such thread, just a one line discussion starter. The threads are mostly just noise.

You were warned against doing that last time, so when you also started to post multiple such threads a day again, you hit the limit. None of the threads on their own were bad enough, but the combination of behaviour (and no wholly on-topic posts to counter that) is simply too bad to allow to continue. You also try to start new threads to resurrect threads that were blocked (GTK3), which is another attempt at moderator circumvention.

As you were on probation to begin with after being banned before for the same behaviour, the first action is directly removal and then (now) banning again.

It's Advent Of Code, the developer of the tool I use is busy with the event. My bug reports are not yet resolved. While I'm waiting for him please let me here talking with people a bit. Thanks.

You are responsible for your own behaviour, and shouldn't try to pin blame for it on others. Moderators or developers of tools that you use.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 01:55:00 pm by marcov »

Joanna

« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »

A lot of people don’t realize how much effort it takes to moderate chat mediums.  The moderators here seem to show a great deal of patience before banning trolls. This makes more work for them for sure.

One thing that a lot of people don’t understand is bans are not really permanent. Professional trolls seem to have a lot of ip addresses and accounts created as backups.  It’s continual cleanup work.

Contrary to popular belief, being a moderator is not a fun power trip , I always feel sort of disappointed when I discover that what could have been a perfectly good nickname belongs to a troll. Moderators are the only thing keeping this forum from being ruined. I commend them.

I'm not a Pascal lover
He just openly admitted that he doesn’t belong here :(
I’m surprised people can post here as guests..

wildfire

« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2022, 02:11:34 pm »

He wasn't a guest when he posted, their status is changed to guest once banned.
A halo is a mere circle, when does it end?

Bogen85

« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2022, 02:22:16 pm »
I'm not a Pascal lover
He just openly admitted that he doesn’t belong here :(

1. Be very careful with that attitude. Some may need help with Free Pascal even if it is not there first (or even second or third) choice as language.
We should help them.

2. Also, many here are not Pascal purists, Free Pascal offers what other languages don't for their use cases.
Should they all not be allowed here as well?
Pascal might not even be their primary programming language.

3. Also, may don't like many aspects of Pascal, yet they feel stuck with it, because other languages don't fit the what they need.
Again, Pascal might not even be their primary language.

Programming languages are a means to an end.
None are the end in and of themselves.

If your attitude is that 2 and 3 should not be allowed here, and if you had the power to enforce that, you would eliminate a lot of active contributing members to this forum.

Many in all 3 categories may not want to call themselves "Pascal lovers".

If you could enforce 1, then you would prevent them from getting to categories 2 and 3.

You have repeatedly expressed concern over the dwindling IRC community.

From my observation part of that has been because of that underlying attitude, and because you have enforcement rights there.

If you had enforcement rights on the forums, you would likely ban many active contributing members.

I highly respect the tolerance and patience of the moderators.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:38:08 pm by Bogen85 »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2022, 02:26:51 pm »
One thing that a lot of people don’t understand is bans are not really permanent. Professional trolls seem to have a lot of ip addresses and accounts created as backups.  It’s continual cleanup work.

Moderation for these kind of (troll) cases is a small fraction compared to the cleaning up of spam. That is magnitudes, magnitudes more work. Trolls are only a handful an year, spam is more like that per day.

We are reluctant to act because there are sometimes things that get lost in translation and other misunderstandings, and you can harm innocent people. But despite that he tried to play the innocent pity card when moderators intervened, this was a quite clear cut case. There was not one thing linking him to the past occurrence, but at least a handful, so I'm pretty sure.

I do believe his loneliness argument, as certain times seemed to coincidence with Covid lockdowns in Eastern Asian countries. But that is not an excuse, specially as he had moderator intervention before, and that is also why people get warnings before definitive action.

Contrary to popular belief, being a moderator is not a fun power trip

Indeed. There is some comfort though that the forum is actually alive and used, that provides motivation and keeps it bearable. Nothing is so frustrating as doing it for a nearly dead forum just in the hope that somebody passes by.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:30:11 pm by marcov »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2022, 02:38:35 pm »
1. Be very careful with that attitude. Some may need help with Free Pascal even if it is not there first (or even second or third) choice as language.
We should help them.

2. Also, many here are not Pascal purists, Free Pascal offers what other languages don't for their use cases.
Should they all not be allowed here as well?
Pascal might not even be their primary programming language.

The subject on this forum is specifically Lazarus/FreePascal, there is no requirement for it to be your first language.

I currently use Delphi mostly at work, and there have been times that I have primarily used C(embedded) or C# (ASP.NET), so you could say that FPC/Lazarus hasn't always been my primary language. But I don't post an endless stream of new topics about the other subjects.

You also don't have to love it. Actually quite some Delphi/Lazarus usage that I encounter in the wild seems to be people working in automation that use it to augment their PLC work with HMI and other management features.

Small deviations from the strait and narrow are allowed, but as soon as somebody seems to only want to do that, and never actually react to the primary subject, then that is cause for concern.

Bogen85

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2022, 02:56:02 pm »
The subject on this forum is specifically Lazarus/FreePascal, there is no requirement for it to be your first language.
... you could say that FPC/Lazarus hasn't always been my primary language. But I don't post an endless stream of new topics about the other subjects.

Agreed. Your reaction to this particular user is spot on correct.

You also don't have to love it. Actually quite some Delphi/Lazarus usage that I encounter in the wild seems to be people working in automation that use it to augment their PLC work with HMI and other management features.

Yes! As is the use of many other programming tools.

Small deviations from the strait and narrow are allowed, but as soon as somebody seems to only want to do that, and never actually react to the primary subject, then that is cause for concern.

Agreed. Everything should stay in context (even if the gets a little broad, but is still related to the discussion at hand).

And even if someone does not think they intentionally trying to disrupt, they would learn from reported warnings when their behavior is disruptive.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018