Recent

Author Topic: my first application ever  (Read 887 times)

Weiss

my first application ever
« on: November 18, 2022, 05:51:32 am »
 :)

https://github.com/OctaveFun/FPC-CCMPC.git

I spent about 6 months learning FPC at leisure pace. Please visit my first repository, (first ever) and try it out. I will not be offended by your hard opinion and critique. But keep in mind, no matter what you say, I am happy with results. Application is short and swift. At work, I can open this application and demonstrate my point, zoom in, show the data, while saying one sentence.

Application currently in use on Windows XP with about 12" monitor. I hard-coded many things which I shouldn't perhaps, therefore you may find a lot of screen space wasted, if your monitor is big.

MarkMLl

Re: my first application ever
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 08:15:47 am »
Congratulations, and hopefully you will take this as constructive criticism:

What does it do? I suggest that at least in your Github repo you have a description of what CCMPC is, and possibly a screenshot.

You also need to specify compilation instructions, including being explicit about what variant of Pascal you've used (i.e. FPC), what version, and the target OS.

I'd suggest also selecting one of the standard licenses (important in view of the flak Github's currently taking) and sticking with a .md ("Markdown") descriptive file rather than the existing .txt which appears to be taking precedence.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 12:20:49 pm »
Cogratulations! Impressive that you skipped your own interpretation of "Hello, World" :-X O:-)
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

BobDog

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 05:50:42 pm »

I got it running in Geany ide.
I had to transfer dozens of units over, and change the working folder (as in the readme).
Lazarus couldn't find unit forms, but I don't use Lazarus anyway, so no worries.
Who needs forms anyway, you have the graphics.
I think it is really good, and just compiling to exe without messing around with projects.
I have been bugged for these last few days with the engine light on in my Ford.
Last time round it was brake fluid, but this time not.
It is probably the diesel exhaust filter, a persistent menace when using the vehicle for short runs.
This wont cure it, but I enjoy running your program, and I need to run the ford for a good few miles to clear the filter.
Thank you.

Weiss

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 07:48:45 pm »
Bob. I tried to keep readme short, perhaps should have mentioned this was  about CAT diesel engines, equipped with electronic control module. These particular engines are installed on the ship. The application is not a diagnostic tool, more like data visualization.

It all started when my co-worker, with master degree in robotics, said that interactive graphics are impossible in Pascal. Which offended me deeply.

BobDog

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 08:07:03 pm »

I was tongue in cheek about my engine light.
I wasn't really expecting your code to do anything to cure it!
But my light is on regardless.
"interactive graphics are impossible in Pascal" is a broad statement.
Even Microsoft quick pascal could do interactive graphics.
If you are (were) a seafarer then a hearty "hello"
I spent about 40 years at it, but in the solarium (bridge).
I only ventured into the engine room when it was necessary, and yes, CAT engines now and then.

MarkMLl

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 09:31:13 pm »
perhaps should have mentioned this was  about CAT diesel engines, equipped with electronic control module. These particular engines are installed on the ship.

I know somebody with a couple of those. I'll send the link over to him in case it's useful.

It all started when my co-worker, with master degree in robotics, said that interactive graphics are impossible in Pascal. Which offended me deeply.

Which just goes to show that they give out masters degrees to just about anybody these days.

That's every bit as crassly ill-informed as the fellow who tried to convince me, years ago, that the /only/ language you could use to program UNIX was C "because it's written in it".

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Weiss

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 03:06:47 am »

I spent about 40 years at it..

hmm, that puts you into 60 yo category, or somewhere late 50's. I long suspected we are a bunch of old farts here.

jamie

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 11:11:44 am »

I spent about 40 years at it..

hmm, that puts you into 60 yo category, or somewhere late 50's. I long suspected we are a bunch of old farts here.

Hey watch that stuff ! :o
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing

TinyPortal © 2005-2018