Recent

Author Topic: Pixel Pitch Function (mm global units, round down to closest integer pixel)  (Read 6934 times)

KodeZwerg

• Fifty shades of code.
    • Delphi & FreePascal
Re: Pixel Pitch Function (mm global units, round down to closest integer pixel)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2022, 09:49:16 pm »
For example my 12 years old 2K Dell has PP (Pixel Pitch) of about 0.233mm (roughly ⅟₄mm)
Again, where in windows do you see the "0.233" Value?
« Last Edit: Tomorrow at 31:76:97 xm by KodeZwerg »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 09:51:04 pm »
High performance scalable fonts has been done for opengl, search for "signed distance field".   

Correlating to mm is hard, because the PPI info of OEM monitors is often quite coarse (a generic xxx inch monitor) or completely erroneous (e.g. from a different model in the same series). It should be accessable via the forms.screens[]  array. 

You might also want to try to mine https://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/content.php for useful snippets of Game UIs.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:00:26 pm by marcov »

Emptyself

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 09:56:57 pm »
For example my 12 years old 2K Dell has PP (Pixel Pitch) of about 0.233mm (roughly ⅟₄mm)

That is the problem!
The manufacturers have it, seems Microsoft are more busy monitoring my PC telemetry data, than acting really as a true OS!
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/

That is why I want to create\develop {Fixel}
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 09:59:39 pm by Emptyself »

Emptyself

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 10:02:36 pm »
High performance scalable fonts has been done for opengl, search for "signed distance field".   

Correlating to mm is hard, because the PPI info of OEM monitors is often quite coarse (a generic xxx inch monitor) or completely erroneous (e.g. from a different model in the same series). It should be accessable via the forms.screens[]  array. 

You might also want to try to mine https://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/content.php for useful snippets of Game UIs.

I think you overestimate my competence in this field. I had to search online what OpenGL is…  :-[
I do agree. PPI is dumb… actually quite misleading.
Pixel Pitch is what should be reported to the OS by a driver\firmware!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:05:30 pm by Emptyself »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 10:03:35 pm »
I think you overestimate my competence in this field. I had to search online what OpenGL is…  :-[

Then I suggest to use Lazarus as is till you are more competent  :)

KodeZwerg

• Fifty shades of code.
    • Delphi & FreePascal
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 10:07:55 pm »

That is the problem!
The manufacturers have it, seems Microsoft are more busy monitoring my PC telemetry data, than acting really as a true OS!
Because to display something you simply do not need that information.
All you need to know is the dimension and dpi/ppi, with that information you can do all the things that you have in your mind by discarding the thinking that a pixel on your display has "with a ruler attached on that display" a mm-value of whatever, it simple does not matter how much mm is anything since a display does not count in such.
I am just honest, sorry to ruin or disappoint your thinking.
(Even getting the correct dpi can be a struggle... trust me)

MarkMLl

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2022, 10:12:31 pm »

In that case stop fantasizing that what you think ought to happen is what's really happening, and listen to people who are trying to help you.

I'm sorry, but if you had any idea /at/ /all/ how many times I've had to listen to this sort of thing over the last 40 years or so...

"I'm sure my car should be able to fly. Where do I find the hover control?".

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Emptyself

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2022, 10:12:46 pm »

That is the problem!
Because to display something you simply do not need that information.
All you need to know is the dimension and dpi/ppi, with that information you can do all the things.

(Even getting the correct dpi can be a struggle... trust me)

Well, seems facts (at least in MS Windows) speak of the contrary… of course I need that Pixel Pitch tech info in [mm]!
PPI\DPI is nonsense!

Emptyself

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2022, 10:16:13 pm »

In that case stop fantasizing that what you think ought to happen is what's really happening, and listen to people who are trying to help you.

"I'm sure my car should be able to fly. Where do I find the hover control?".

MarkMLl

But we are not talking about new\modified hardware, rather about a simple tech. spec already available and quite firm as a constant; also extremely valuable and important.

MarkMLl

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2022, 10:26:25 pm »
But we are not talking about new\modified hardware, rather about a simple tech. spec already available and quite firm as a constant; also extremely valuable and important.

But that's not how people have done it over the last 35 years or so, ever since GUIs started hitting the mass market. You'd have to start reimplementing a massive amount of code from the bottom up, and you'd still have the fundamental problem that you can't rely on screens reporting their parameters accurately.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

domasz

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2022, 10:30:05 pm »
rather about a simple tech. spec already available and quite firm as a constant; also extremely valuable and important.
Where available? I have a generic driver installed for my laptop's monitor. There is no way to get real DPI from that driver. Windows just assumes it is 96 dpi.
And OS doesn't care if your screen resolution (eg. 1920x1080) is rendered on a 13" monitor of 42" simply because it's not important.

KodeZwerg

• Fifty shades of code.
    • Delphi & FreePascal
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 10:33:49 pm »
PPI\DPI is nonsense!
Of course you can have your own opinion about how a computer display and graphic adapter/drivers etc shall work but that's just you.
Integer are numbers, what is integer for 0.233. 0 or 1? I hope this will open your eyes to rethink about all.
I am wishing you good luck to invent something that does never work generic and is unprecise / unpredictable.
Do not explain me that it's precise since it ain't. Maybe on a paper but not on a display.

Emptyself

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2022, 11:03:52 pm »
PPI\DPI is nonsense!

Do not explain me that it's precise since it ain't. Maybe on a paper but not on a display.

Are you serious?  :D
Pixel Pitch data quite exactly corresponds to a size of a pixel… thut is 1 (one) integer pixel.
Its size in mm is not an integer but it does not have to be.

In displays with desktop size (22~24" so called diagonal) and big pixels «low res» e.g. 1024×768 (hardly on the market anymore) the physical min. requirement for readability will thus be just one or two pixel above 3mm Capital letter size, because of the bare minimum for modern .ttf fonts.
So those 12 pixels might end up at 3.5~4mm. Big deal…  ::)

But with {Fixel} on the 4K monitor all and every font ever parsed by the {Fixel} implementation, will end up about the same physical size on any «better» monitor.

I am amazed that it is almost 2023 and this is still a problem.
{Fixel} should be user controlled adjustable, regardless of non native resolution (OS graphic driver tweaked).

I am so angry at myself for not having a proper computer programming surrounding (a lack of it actually), by 2001 all this should have been solved.

itblumi

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2022, 11:13:27 pm »
Dude ok then you can get the information from the WMIObject, but not all monitors will provide this data. So you can make a database with all those values foreach model and for all monitors or you ask the user if he would measure the size of his monitor before. 3 Solution is to call each producer of monitors and tell them they have to provide this information, good luck with this!
4th is what do you do if some uses a projector ? Do you ask him if he measures the distance between the wall and the projector ?
Jan

Delphi XE6, Lazarus 2.2.4, Visual Studio, Eclipse
Platforms: Ubuntu 22.10, Windows 7, 10
Progarmming languages: Pascal, C, C++, C#, Java

Emptyself

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2022, 11:37:45 pm »
Dude ok then you can get the information from the WMIObject, but not all monitors will provide this data. So you can make a database with all those values foreach model and for all monitors or you ask the user if he would measure the size of his monitor before. 3 Solution is to call each producer of monitors and tell them they have to provide this information, good luck with this!
4th is what do you do if some uses a projector ? Do you ask him if he measures the distance between the wall and the projector ?

Projectors just project\magnify proportionally (well, with some small persp. distortion). The setup happens before the projector.
Nevermind… at least it reminds me why I did not pursue computer programming, so I just went for Design Engineering.  8-)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018