Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Detect if a memory is valid  (Read 3014 times)

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
Re: [SOLVED] Detect if a memory is valid
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 04:38:29 pm »
The best way to evaluate that is a repeatable crash.... 8-) That is not a joke. You can take precautionary measures  to avoid it, but not much else.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 04:40:04 pm by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Okoba

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2022, 04:40:25 pm »
:D I needed the laugh, thank you.

TO summarize I want to know two things now:
1- A question I have is that in debug mode, Lazarus uses exception handling that leads to the message box. Where was it set?
2- Is it safe swapping exception handling functions in the the previous code I posted, using try finally?

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2022, 09:30:30 pm »
1- A question I have is that in debug mode, Lazarus uses exception handling that leads to the message box. Where was it set?

It's triggered by the debugger, not the application.

2- Is it safe swapping exception handling functions in the the previous code I posted, using try finally?

No, because that is not thread safe. Just do as Thaddy said: just access the memory and trigger a potential exception and catch that using tryexcept.

Okoba

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 09:21:40 am »
Interesting, so the GDB or FPDebugger act as the exception manager before it gets to the program.

No, because that is not thread safe. Just do as Thaddy said: just access the memory and trigger a potential exception and catch that using try … except.
My question controlling that exception without SysUtils. Now that I found it thanks to you, and my program is not threaded, I can have my way.

Thank you all.

Okoba

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2022, 10:49:49 am »
@PascalDragon Is there a way to tell debugger, to not control the exception? I still like to have the debug info, without the debugger middling in exception handling.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 11:10:19 pm »
Interesting, so the GDB or FPDebugger act as the exception manager before it gets to the program.

It's the purpose of a debugger to be able to catch exceptions of an application so that the developer can investigate them.

No, because that is not thread safe. Just do as Thaddy said: just access the memory and trigger a potential exception and catch that using try … except.
My question controlling that exception without SysUtils. Now that I found it thanks to you, and my program is not threaded, I can have my way.

That doesn't change that changing these functions is not thread safe.

@PascalDragon Is there a way to tell debugger, to not control the exception? I still like to have the debug info, without the debugger middling in exception handling.

Project -> Project Settings -> Project Settings -> Language Exceptions. Add the class name to the list, though I don't know whether the debugger does special checks that the class inherits from Exception.

Okoba

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 11:11:46 pm »
Thank you!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018