Forum > Win32/64

WIN64 open file dialog hangs on debug

(1/2) > >>

Nicola Gorlandi:
Using the last release of Lazarus (2.2.4) with Win64 in Windows SO the file selection dialog hangs. I have to restart the PC in order to works again.

Any suggestions ?

Many thanks.

KodeZwerg:
Can you provide a minimal example?

Martin_fr:
Do you use FpDebug or GDB ? => See Tools > Options > Debugger Backend

Which Windows version?

In some cases the dialog takes a bit longer to open (10 to 20 seconds have been seen as worst case). I guess  you waited longer than that.
The reason is that the File open dialog (any file dialog) loads lots of DLLs. Handlers from other unrelated apps. Anything that hooks into the file-explorer, either (many of the) extra menu entries for the context menu (Such as "compress with ..."). Or file preview handlers, Or icon overlays ....

The debugger get notification for that, and may load debug info.
Also, if those are causing exceptions, the debugger gets notified too.

Usually that does not lead to a hang, though....
But such a dll, could contain code that misbehaves (intentionally) under a debugger....

KodeZwerg:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on October 30, 2022, 11:46:25 am ---In some cases the dialog takes a bit longer to open (10 to 20 seconds have been seen as worst case).
--- End quote ---
Network shares, Cloud shares, those can often lead to end a lot longer, especial when those share didnt connected before at all....

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: Nicola Gorlandi on October 30, 2022, 10:32:33 am --- the file selection dialog hangs. I have to restart the PC in order to works again.

--- End quote ---

If only that app hangs, what have you tried to kill it?

In the IDE "run menu" there is "reset debugger", which you could try. (Doesn't solve that it shouldn't hang.... but ...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version