Recent

Author Topic: tiobe index  (Read 1349 times)

Weiss

tiobe index
« on: October 04, 2022, 02:34:35 am »
while looking up some other language (Wolfram it was) I couldn't help but noticed Delphi/Pascal is on 13th place. Moved up 7 places from its 20th place.

Isn't it a big jump? What happened?

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: tiobe index
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 09:49:54 am »
They finally agreed that FreePascal and Delphi (and others) are the same familiy...
That was always a matter of contention.
Note that Tiobe is still not a good measure with sound statistics. Merely and at most an indication.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 09:51:41 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

af0815

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 01:41:33 pm »
Tiobe have also the problem not to find the correct name -> Pascal <- for it. They are using a Productname for a programming language. Tiobe is for me a boring company, not more, not less.
regards
Andreas

Weiss

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 07:22:25 pm »
Note that Tiobe is still not a good measure with sound statistics. Merely and at most an indication.

I was surprised. TBH I was studying Pascal for a fun of it, with full understanding that this is just a hobby. Now, I see there are job postings, and popularity somewhere along with Matlab, Go etc. I am not looking for a career switch, but it feels good anyway.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 12:08:35 pm »
They finally agreed that FreePascal and Delphi (and others) are the same familiy...
Not yet, the plain Pascal is still ranked 269, far below Delphi/Object Pascal at 18. But anyway yea:

Zath

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 04:31:05 pm »
Embarcadero have recently been doing a lot of live Delphi bootcamps & Q&A. Some of them are also being replayed as live streams.
This is likely to raise awareness somewhat.

Many of them would be of use to Lazarus users, particularly some of the South African content as it was more generic pascal rather than Delphi specific so the logic etc. would be equally valid.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018