Recent

Author Topic: Path to PCP and EXE in about dialog and caption  (Read 616 times)

Arioch

Path to PCP and EXE in about dialog and caption
« on: October 02, 2022, 05:40:30 pm »
When i have several versin of Lazarus running (for example to test some snippet in different FPC/LCL versions, or to debug one Lazarus with another Lazarus) - i would really loveto learn which Lazarus of many i am seing in an instant glance.

Can it be configured, or enhances so the path to PCP and/or to the LAzarus EXE would be immediately available in About diialog and/or main Lazarus form caption ?

Different icons would be nice too, Opera browser used to have different icons for release and beta versions (albeit only after run, not on-disk), and this little detail was one great visual cue.

MarkMLl

Re: Path to PCP and EXE in about dialog and caption
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 06:18:40 pm »
View -> IDE Internals -> About IDE -> General -> Primary config directory

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Arioch

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 06:21:27 pm »
...down a long and windy road :-)

i stress the "immediate availability", by split second and a turn of my eyeballs

Frankly, would it be before WinVista - i'd also request window captions haveing different, non-system colours. In Windows 95-2000 timeframe it was a popular way too decorate your app :-)

wp

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 06:33:33 pm »
Martin recommended to me to give the gutter of the source editor different colors for the individual versions. For me the gutters of the same versions have the same basic color, but the gutters of the 64-bit versions are set to be more saturated, while the gutters of the 32-bit versions are more faint. Then there's a variety of icons on CCR which have different colors (match with the gutter color) and "32" and "64" overlays for the bitness (https://sourceforge.net/p/lazarus-ccr/svn/HEAD/tree/applications/laz_icons/). The latter, however, is only good for the desktop icons. This is not a great disadvantage for me, though, because I try to avoid running different Lazarus versions simultaneously - this usually ends up in mess...

I do agree that this might be quite tedious to set up, but it's worth the effort if you work with many versions.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 06:41:44 pm by wp »

KodeZwerg

• Fifty shades of code.
    • Delphi & FreePascal
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 06:37:46 pm »
Frankly, would it be before WinVista - i'd also request window captions haveing different, non-system colours. In Windows 95-2000 timeframe it was a popular way too decorate your app :-)
For "your app", who hold you back to do a simple borderless form with a selfmade caption the way of how you like it?
« Last Edit: Tomorrow at 31:76:97 xm by KodeZwerg »

Arioch

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 06:55:03 pm »
For "your app", who hold you back to do a simple borderless form with a selfmade caption the way of how you like it?

Well, two reasons.
1) there was a Delphi component of extended caption, to just drop on the form. In RxLib/JVCL, maybe the code is still somewhere there in CCR
2) Windows GDI separates methods (messages) of painting caption and caption behavior. Full-custom mode would give you burden to replicate all the behavior, including animations, that are user-customizeable at that. So, overriding painting of the caption and nothing else was better both by concept and practice.

give the gutter of the source editor different colors

To me the most annoying problem was hitting F7/F8/F9 in the wrong IDE. So i did not even look to the source editor.

I was thinking into making non-standard background or fonts too, BTW, but i feel reluctant to do so. The IDE for tests/pataches should be as vanilla as possible, and that would mean i have to make "non-standard" colouring for my main IDE.

Ok, IOW, there is no already existing functionality that my ignorance missed.
I wonder, though, if some customization of main form from "lazarus.cfg" gets implemented, would it be immediately frown upon as violating Lazarus purity and putitn unneeded complexity upon mantainers.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018