Forum > General

Curly brackets in strings

(1/7) > >>

simsee:
Consider the following trivial program:

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---program Project1;begin  {  writeln('}');  }  writeln;end.
The compiler gives an error, as it is deceived by the presence of the closing brace inside the string in writeln.

Is this a bug? How should curly brackets be handled in strings? Is it mandatory to use #123 and #125?

In the documentation:

https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/current/ref/refse8.html#x19-180001.8)

there is no mention of this issue.

Shouldn't the compiler parser ignore what's inside the quotes?

Thanks.

Thaddy:

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---program Project1;begin  { <---- this is a multiline comment  writeln('}'); // this would compile if not surrounded by the multiline comment....  and this is the end of a multiline comment --->} writeln;end.
--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---beginwriteln('{');end.

MarkMLl:
Hoo boy :-(

Not strictly a bug: use (* *) for the outer comments.

MarkMLl

Thaddy:
(* and *) are equal to { and } only older...

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: Thaddy on October 02, 2022, 11:32:38 am ---(* and *) are equal to { and } only older...

--- End quote ---

No, they were introduced at the same time. Wirth's original comments were /* */ but (I suspect) he realised that that style was also being used by the B language.

Somewhat later: https://www.research-collection.ethz.ch/bitstream/handle/20.500.11850/68910/eth-3059-01.pdf page 50 which shows that comments were in braces with /* */ as alternatives. I believe that at that time Wirth was working largely on CDC kit which had a fairly comprehensive character set, but swathes of the industry still relied on (rebadged) IBM 026 and 029 cardpunches for code entry.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version