Recent

Author Topic: Client side backup with TFBAdmin  (Read 692 times)

KoBraSoft

Client side backup with TFBAdmin
« on: September 20, 2022, 08:11:39 pm »
Hello
is there a way to do a client side backup with FBAdmin like gbak.
The database i want to backup is on an Server, the backup copy should be writen on client's harddisk.

Konrad

tonyw

• MWA Software
Re: Client side backup with TFBAdmin
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 03:04:14 pm »
I don't know about TFBAdmin, but IBX's TIBClientSideBackupService component has been able to do this for many years. There is also a corresponding restore component. see IBX/examples/DBAdmin for an example of how to do this.

Arioch

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 05:01:11 pm »
there is a caveat however

server-local and remote backup/restore have different idea waht is success and what is error

one of them would report success, if backup/restore has ended with error, but the log/data of it was transferred without error

given that .FBK is not guaranteed to be restorable (the reverse side of FB flexibility, providing for shceme change with live data) - it is sugegsted to always do a test restore after backup. So testing for errors in the procss becomes needed.

KoBraSoft

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 08:57:28 am »
IBX's TIBClientSideBackupService component has been able to do this
It meets my needs perfectly.

I used IBX with Delphi, but after switching to Lazarus I lost IBX out of my focus. Now I have learned that IBX (for Lazarus) is not only still alive, but also highly sophisticated and still under heavy development.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018