Forum > Other

GitLab.com vs Codeberg.org

(1/11) > >>

Fred vS:
Hello.

There is a project that I follow for age, that has his deb debian official package and with code hosted on Gitlab.
https://www.surina.net/soundtouch/download.html

Suddenly, without any warning, GitLab just blocked soundtouch account.
Here the note of maintainer:

--- Quote ---2021-10-14 OP: For some reason that currently is unknown to us, gitlab.com
blocked soundtouch account without any prior notice,
hence soundtouch repository moved to codeberg.org, hopefully a more stable and friendly home for an opensource project.

--- End quote ---

Here his new CodeBerg project:
https://codeberg.org/soundtouch/soundtouch

I hope that GitLab will not do the same for fpc/Lazarus (or some projects that I care).

Thaddy:
There was a good reason for that, Fred. Just not public yet. Simply don't use it for now.
(Well, if you really payed attention and did some research you know why my reaction is that way....)

I strongly discourage the use of codeberg, obviously.

Fred vS:

--- Quote from: Thaddy on September 04, 2022, 07:04:15 pm --- Just not public yet. Simply don't use it for now.

--- End quote ---

Hello Thaddy.

Not sure to understand, should I renounce to use that library just because GitLab blocked the account, without any notice?
Is GitLab the promised GodLab?

Thaddy:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on September 04, 2022, 07:08:53 pm ---
--- Quote from: Thaddy on September 04, 2022, 07:04:15 pm --- Just not public yet. Simply don't use it for now.

--- End quote ---

Hello Thaddy.

Not sure to understand, should I renounce to use that library just because GitLab blocked the account, without any notice?

--- End quote ---
No, you should pay attention from where it is coming from. You are perfectly capabele to detect that yourself. See my avatar, the world is more complex than you think!
The gitlab account is blocked for good reasons. And no notice is a good thing. Not all is what is seems. This may be legit, but the maintainer is under surveillance. Kind like a fly trap.
You can ask why it is blocked, btw. Probably similar answer.

Awkward:

--- Quote from: Fred vS on September 04, 2022, 07:08:53 pm ---

--- End quote ---

Hello Thaddy.

--- End quote ---
Gitlab don't like yor placement? Well, you always can move to another repo site, isn't it? And they moved, not deleted, right? So, best practice can be to make many copies on different repo sites

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version