Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Unit Dependencies window — what does the red cross icon mean?  (Read 791 times)

furious programming

What does the red icon with a cross next to some files in the Unit Dependencies window mean? Honestly, I have no clue, and no hint shows up with information explaining what's going on. An example in the attachment for an empty application project.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 01:26:35 am by furious programming »
Lazarus 3.2 with FPC 3.2.2, Windows 10 — all 64-bit

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

balazsszekely

Re: Unit Dependencies window — what means the red-cross icon?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 04:43:40 pm »
@furious programming
What does the red icon with a cross next to some files in the Unit Dependencies window mean? Honestly, I have no clue, and no hint shows up with information explaining what's going on. An example in the attachment for an empty application project.\
I did take a quick look. Long story short, if unit A uses another unit in the implementation section, then Unit A will have that red overlay icon.

PS: The icon name is: pkg_core_overlay.png, you can find it in $(LazarusDir)\Images\packages.

furious programming

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 05:00:14 pm »
Ok, thank you @GetMem.

If so, this overlay icon should be changed to something else, because adding unit to the uses list in the implementation section is not an error. Isn't it? 8)

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

balazsszekely

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 05:16:35 pm »
Ok, thank you @GetMem.

If so, this overlay icon should be changed to something else, because adding unit to the uses list in the implementation section is not an error. Isn't it? 8)
Are you aware that with your latest comment, you basically auto-assigned yourself to design a new icon? :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 05:31:55 pm by GetMem »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 05:54:10 pm »
I agree somewhat with Furious. The color Red should be saved for something that is wrong.

balazsszekely

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 06:48:28 pm »
I agree somewhat with Furious. The color Red should be saved for something that is wrong.
I also agree, but it's a low priority issue. If I change pkg_core_overlay with pkg_hierarchical, the dialog looks like this(see attached image). The tree like image suggest, that the unit depends on other units. This could be a quick solution.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 06:54:06 pm by GetMem »

wp

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 07:40:31 pm »
I can ask Roland, maybe he has an idea for a better icon.

furious programming

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 07:55:20 pm »
Are you aware that with your latest comment, you basically auto-assigned yourself to design a new icon? :D

Currently I have no good idea for the new overlay. Maybe the icon with two pages? 8)

balazsszekely

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 08:34:03 pm »
I can ask Roland, maybe he has an idea for a better icon.
That would be great! Roland can solve this issue in no time.
Perhaps we should also implement some kind of legend, where each icon has a clear description. Again very low priority.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018