Recent

Author Topic: rx e powerpdf license  (Read 1021 times)

calm_sea

rx e powerpdf license
« on: August 18, 2022, 10:29:52 pm »
i need some clarification. I am trying to understand the license terms of the components I use. I can't understand, in particular, if RX and Powerpdf can be used in closed source software.

kkuba

Re: rx e powerpdf license
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 09:07:34 pm »
You asked an unclear question. I'll try to guess what you mean. Both components are LGPL licensed, probably version 2.1. The license does not include static link exception. The requirements for including the library in the executable code can be found in point 6 of this license.
Generally, you will have to separate this code because you will virus the main application. This can be done via a dll file or by creating a separate executable file.

calm_sea

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 09:16:29 am »
Thank you very much! I have never created a dll. Can I create a dll with lazarus only with the library to link?

paweld

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 09:44:30 am »
The rx component is LGPL licensed with a linking exception, so you can use it in closed-source programs. You just have to remember that if you modify the component code then you have to make it available.
Best regards / Pozdrawiam
paweld

kkuba

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 12:45:53 pm »
You are right. There is an error in the description in OPM. There is a static link exception in * .pas files.

wp

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 01:04:09 pm »
Since OPM takes the license information from the package description the error originates from there. And in fact, the package rxnew.lpk, for example, lists "LGPL" as license, rather than "LGPL with linking exception".

Please contact the rx author (alextp, he is a forum user) to fix this inaccuracy.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018