Recent

Author Topic: FPCupdeluxe on Pi 400  (Read 1974 times)

Ruptor

FPCupdeluxe on Pi 400
« on: August 07, 2022, 04:01:57 pm »
No chance. :( Why is FPCupdeluxe offered when it doesn't work? Surely someone tested it on a Pi400 when the Picois one of the one press install buttons? I wasted a over day of my life fiddling with it trying to fix the errors. This is what happened and some of the delay was my fault that just added to the aggravation.
I downloaded FPCupdeluxe for Linux that required permissions changed before it would run then it complained packages were missing that I tried to load but couldn't because I forgot the Pi400 password. At that point I decided I should load the latest Pi400 OS that didn't give a display but I sorted that after more delay. Downloaded the PFCupdeluxe again, changed permissions and it didn't run it does absolutely nothing so had I updated the Pi400 software as suggested in the first place I would have arrived at not working faster. ::)
Luckily I remembered the Pi400 password, installed the missing packages and over the next hour gave lots of errors. I dread to think what awaits if the latest Pi400 software can run FPCupdeluxe.
 On Suse linux after an hour and a half choosing embedded and trunk FPCupdeluxe loaded with no errors but what about the joke on Pi400? I haven't even looked in to the complexity of cross compiling on Suse to Pico which is why I went for the Pi400 in the first place. It is all too complicated for my poor little brain. :(

MarkMLl

Re: FPCupdeluxe on Pi 400
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 05:08:39 pm »
/What/ error messages? What OS is the device running? What's the difference between a Pi400 and an ordinary Raspberry Pi? What makes you think there's any connection at all between a Pi 400 and a Pico?

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

hansotten

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 05:47:22 pm »
I had no problem installing Lazarus with FPCUpdeLuxe on a PI400. But I am running old-stable Buster.

The Pico and FPC have not much to do with a Pi 400, only as cross compiler.

Lazarus works fine on a Pi 4/400 (but be aware it is not the fastest desktop,  even with a SSD as hard disk).

Ruptor

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 07:07:28 pm »
I thought with the Pico & Pi being made by the same company people on the RPi site would be using RPi gear to develop software for Pico on Pi400 but not using Pascal I guess. :(
Any error messages with the old 2021 Pi400 OS are irrelevant since FPCupdeluxe does nothing with the latest Pi software Bullseye issued April 2022 &  instructions say update first. Someone needs to test FPCupdeluxe on the latest Pi software is my point or state it doesn't work on a Pi. I wouldn't know where to start.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 07:28:58 pm »
If you can give me remote access(VNC, SSH) to this RPi system, I might be able to have a look and give it a try.

Ruptor

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 07:57:32 pm »
If you can give me remote access(VNC, SSH) to this RPi system, I might be able to have a look and give it a try.
Thanks but I have put the Pi400 back in its box & shall use my Suse Linux laptop that loaded everything eventually. 

MarkMLl

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 10:17:14 pm »
I thought with the Pico & Pi being made by the same company people on the RPi site would be using RPi gear to develop software for Pico on Pi400 but not using Pascal I guess. :(
Any error messages with the old 2021 Pi400 OS are irrelevant since FPCupdeluxe does nothing with the latest Pi software Bullseye issued April 2022 &  instructions say update first. Someone needs to test FPCupdeluxe on the latest Pi software is my point or state it doesn't work on a Pi. I wouldn't know where to start.

Yeah sure. "You thought". And on the basis of that, without considering that you might be mistaken, you started off your first post with a slew of snarky comments :-(

Now let's put all that behind us and start over.

As I understand it, the Pi400 is basically a fairly standard Pi 4 running a derivative of Debian (I forget what they call it these days). I've been running RPis for... quite a long time, and by and large they behave much like PCs running Debian: or SPARCs, MIPS boards, emulated IBM mainframes and so on.

The Pico on the other hand, is- and just about every published piece over the last 18 months has emphasised this- a standalone board with no operating system, roughly speaking competing with the Arduino, "Blue Pill", Teensy and so on. So assuming that just because the Pico and the Pi400 are made by the same people they behave the same, is like assuming that an IBM PC and an IBM mainframe behave the same. Or that a Volvo car and a Volvo lorry behave the same or... I think you probably get the idea :-)

The only time I've used FPCUpdeluxe is for the Pico, and that was because I was following up work that other people had been discussing on this forum; however my understanding is that it's well-regarded and that I'm one of comparatively few people who, out of habit, builds FPC etc. using his own scripts.

Right now, I'm not diving in to look at how you should have set it up, and suggest that you listen to DonAlfredo.

MarkMLl

Ruptor

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 01:07:04 pm »
Yeah sure. "You thought". And on the basis of that, without considering that you might be mistaken, you started off your first post with a slew of snarky comments :-(
This isn't snarky? I don't think others were upset by my post they saw my comments are out of irritation that in the 21st century a useful piece of software doesn't even start when I followed the instructions given.
Now let's put all that behind us and start over.
Yes forget about using FPC etc on the RPi as a development platform. Nobody seems to be using Pascal anyway.
I have been designing electronics & embedded software since 1980 starting high level on Algol 68 with over 10 years on medical equipment where there is no room for errors or bugs.
Right now, I'm not diving in to look at how you should have set it up, and suggest that you listen to DonAlfredo.
There is nothing to set up in loading new RPi software previously called Raspian and now adopted as their version RPi OS. Download image to SD card plug in and go except when the display default is wrong when you have to change the config file. Everything else works on the latest Pi400 software except FPCDeluxe. This leaves two possibilities either the FPCDeluxe downloaded file is corrupt if that is statistically possible or the new RPi OS is different in some way. As I said in my previous post I shall use my Suse Linux computer instead and nobody seems to be using Lazarus on RPi so there is no point in anybody wasting time on it until people want to use it.
If I get curious I shall do some tests to eliminate the corrupt file scenario.

MarkMLl

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 02:40:25 pm »
I have been designing electronics & embedded software since 1980 starting high level on Algol 68 with over 10 years on medical equipment where there is no room for errors or bugs.

1980... Ah yes. I remember a technician back then causing no end of problems when he guessed that a 4v7 Zener could be replaced by a 5v6 one.

And that is exactly what you did: guessed that a Pi400 was in some way similar to a Pico, and when things went wrong bulled on regardless until you were so unhappy you started looking for a scapegoat.

MarkMLl

Ruptor

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 04:01:15 pm »
And that is exactly what you did: guessed that a Pi400 was in some way similar to a Pico, and when things went wrong bulled on regardless until you were so unhappy you started looking for a scapegoat.
This is a shame and of no help. :(
I would appreciate some useful comments.
I looked at the config files. What about the common 64 bit vs 32 bit problem? The new software doesn't have 64 bit mode selected. What does the FPCupdeluxe software do on the ARM?

MarkMLl

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 04:05:04 pm »
I would appreciate some useful comments.
I looked at the config files. What about the common 64 bit vs 32 bit problem? The new software doesn't have 64 bit mode selected. What does the FPCupdeluxe software do on the ARM?

The sourcecode's open source: you tell us:

https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/fpcupdeluxe

But in actual fact the maintainer offered to help if he could access your system. What more do you want?

Look, I'm prepared to accept that something's gone wrong here, probably based on the combination of platform and target distro version. But you've not helped by flailing around, refusing to say exactly /what/ error messages etc. you got, and then blaming the World for treating you unfairly.

MarkMLl
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 04:09:50 pm by MarkMLl »

Ruptor

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 04:16:36 pm »
I think the ARM code is 32 bit. The new software is set for 64 bit mode not the other way around as I typed in my last post. I read RPi only went 64 bit in February and the original Pi400 code was 2021 so was running in 32 bit mode where FPCupdeluxe did run.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 04:23:31 pm »
AARCH64-Linux IS supported by fpcupdeluxe. No problems there, I think, but I have only RPI4's, not a 400.
Specialize a type, not a var.

MarkMLl

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 04:37:32 pm »
I think the ARM code is 32 bit. The new software is set for 64 bit mode not the other way around as I typed in my last post. I read RPi only went 64 bit in February and the original Pi400 code was 2021 so was running in 32 bit mode where FPCupdeluxe did run.

I think they've had it as an option for somewhat longer... there's been a great deal of experimental stuff over the years including virtualisation experiments etc. which might or might not get as far as release (and might or might not be enabled by default).

if in doubt remember that the file command will tell you what a binary is. As an example on an RPi3 running live here:

Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. $ file /bin/dmesg
  2. /bin/dmesg: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, BuildID[sha1]=3e9882c3485dccdb86f741b408205bffb5c16669, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, stripped

I've got no reason to buy an RPi4 or a Pi-400... although I admit it's rather cute, reminds me of a Prestel adapter :-)

I've also got very limited time to mess around so am reluctant to sacrifice a stock Pi3 to see what actually installs. But did the OS come on an SD-Card supplied with the Pi-400... if not can you remember what you downloaded?

It also occurs to me that there is a known issue with the Lazarus being shipped by Debian (the maintainer- external to the FPC project per se- screwed some versioning information): I haven't a clue whether that's been fixed in Raspbian (or whatever it's called these days) which is a bit more spry than Debian itself and I don't know whether it's something which would confuse FPCUpDeluxe.

(Slightly later:) Where (roughly) are you? it might be that since you're not currently using it there's somebody close enough to you to collaborate by putting the Pi400 on a tunnel so that DonAlfredo can get at it.

Of course, the easiest thing for everybody might just be to talk you through installing what you need manually. At least then you might end up feeling the tools and community are useful for something... :-)

MarkMLl
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 05:30:58 pm by MarkMLl »

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 10:59:06 pm »
AARCH64-Linux IS supported by fpcupdeluxe. No problems there, I think, but I have only RPI4's, not a 400.

As there shouldn't be as aside from the form factor and the internal use of one of the USB ports for the keyboard the RPi400 is an RPi4 (we tested that at work for our own operating system). So if you say that fpcupdeluxe is working without problems on RPi4 then Ruptor has simply done something wrong or had wrong assumptions and it would be nice to know what these were, because maybe something either needs to be cleared or there is indeed some bug with some specific hardware configuration.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018