Recent

Author Topic: My confession - I am a Pascal sinner . Reply to this with your own Pascal sins.  (Read 2325 times)

MarkMLl

Your sin is doing it manually, while it is a builtin feature

...which is NBG if for some reason he also needs to support older compiler versions. Now he could obviously check against FPC_FULLVERSION to make sure that he'd got 3.2, but before doing that he'd also, in principle, have to check that he'd got at least 2.2.4 which is where FPC_FULLVERSION came in.

So I, for one, am certainly not criticising him.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Zvoni

I have to code in Visual Basic (Office-VBA) at work......
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.

...which is NBG if for some reason he also needs to support older compiler versions.

To my knowledge typically only a quite a small number of people still use the previous major version compiler at this point in the major release circle. (say roughly at the x.y.4 point, as 3.2.2 is well established now)

Awkward

...which is NBG if for some reason he also needs to support older compiler versions.

To my knowledge typically only a quite a small number of people still use the previous major version compiler at this point in the major release circle. (say roughly at the x.y.4 point, as 3.2.2 is well established now)

Ah, now i understands why commented some time ago that macro in my code...

MarkMLl

The significance of "quite small" can be argued in any context. Only a "quite small" number of people use Pascal, but I'm sure that they would be very unhappy indeed if e.g. Linux started to mandate code signing and the developers only supported majority languages.

The specific case I was thinking of though would be if somebody needed to support multiple distro versions which bundled multiple versions of libqtpas for Qt support, which would have implications on the versions of the LCL hence IDE hence compiler to be supported.

But in any event, it is- IMO- completely unacceptable for a program to fail to compile on even an ancient compiler version, without a sensible error message explaining /why/. In fact I'd go so far as to say that that would be a far graver sin than anybody had admitted to so far.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.

The significance of "quite small" can be argued in any context. Only a "quite small" number of people use Pascal, but I'm sure that they would be very unhappy indeed if e.g. Linux started to mandate code signing and the developers only supported majority languages.

As preprocessor usage goes above language level token processing, I don't understand that analogy. This is just a hint to cut ancient dead wood at a time when pretty much migrated to 3.2.x.

The specific case I was thinking of though would be if somebody needed to support multiple distro versions which bundled multiple versions of libqtpas for Qt support, which would have implications on the versions of the LCL hence IDE hence compiler to be supported.

Such things hardly make sense since in such LTS situations, most code is also frozen with it, and pretty much immutable except for emergencies.

Ten_Mile_Hike

After reading all the replies to my original post I hereby declare all of you here to be "Wirthy" of forgiveness

TinyPortal © 2005-2018