Forum > General

Why's Lazarus IDE only mostly used to create small tools/utilities?

(1/6) > >>

madel:
Hi all,

Not here to bash but I'd like to start a friendly discussion:

I notice that the majority of the projects created with lazarus/fpc are just small to medium GUI tools/utilities. I understand that Lazarus makes it very easy and fairly straightforward to create such things, I use it for that myself.

But I feel like such case makes Lazarus' reputation to be known that it is used "just" for that by those who didn't use or barely knows about it. To make my point clearly and for the sake of giving an example:

C can do anything yet it's mostly popular for systems programming (OSes, drivers, compilers etc.)
Same for C++ but it's famous for creating 3D game engines etc.

And so on...

IMO, lazarus/fpc doesn't have a "niche" which can be a good thing but also I think it's holding it back to be more widely known/used.

So my idea for this discussion is this: Would the lazarus/fpc community collaborate to create some "important/big/etc." that draws more attention to lazarus/fpc?

PS:

1. I understand that the Delphi/Pascal is mostly centered around RAD tools for GUIs.
2. I understand that Lazarus and FPC compiler themselves are written in Pascal which demonstrates its capabilities.
3. I'm not asking anyone to work on something, if anything, I should follow my own idea and start something myself first, but that isn't my intention (to ask the community to make something), my intention is learning about others' opinions regarding this point.

AlexTP:
PeaZip
Total Commander
Double Commander
CudaText (my)
- are big projects.

dseligo:

--- Quote from: madel on August 06, 2022, 12:27:16 pm ---I notice that the majority of the projects created with lazarus/fpc are just small to medium GUI tools/utilities. I understand that Lazarus makes it very easy and fairly straightforward to create such things, I use it for that myself.

--- End quote ---

You probably mean open source project, on Github and similar?
Apart from AlexTP's examples, I am sure that there are plenty of large projects which are not made public. I have project with more than 120 forms, and I consider it to be large.

But don't let this to discourage you to start big project: I am sure that you'll get help from community, either by active participation in project or by help and advice here in the forums.

madel:

--- Quote from: AlexTP on August 06, 2022, 12:34:32 pm ---PeaZip
Total Commander
Double Commander
CudaText (my)
- are big projects.

--- End quote ---
I do know these fine projects, actually, I use CudaText myself and I thank you for your nice creation :)

--- Quote from: dseligo on August 06, 2022, 12:49:40 pm ---You probably mean open source project, on Github and similar?
Apart from AlexTP's examples, I am sure that there are plenty of large projects which are not made public. I have project with more than 120 forms, and I consider it to be large.

But don't let this to discourage you to start big project: I am sure that you'll get help from community, either by active participation in project or by help and advice here in the forums.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I mean a "big" open source project. And I have been thinking of an idea for such a project myself... I just want lazarus/fpc community to grow in popularity and be more recognised/appreciated for what it offers.

Martin_fr:
Do you refer to the observation that some of the recent announcements have been "smaller" (yet neither less valuable, nor limited in future growth) projects?
Not all projects are announced, and of those announced not all are announced here on the forum. That is the authors decision.

There are lots of bigger projects (like the Lazarus IDE itself). And huge frameworks (gaming, database, reports, ...).

And if you compare to C-like languages, well there are many, many small c-like based apps too. If you want to compare, IMHO the only meaningful numbers would be the ratio. Because with C-like, even with the smallest "big to small app" ratio, the overall flood of apps would mean there are still tons of bigger apps.

Also comparing number of announcements is problematic too.
Unlike C-like, with tons of forums, where each announcement only reaches a fraction of the c-like followers, for FPC there is a single forum. A central place for such announcements. This distribution has a bigger effect on the visibility of smaller projects. And a lesser effect for bigger projects. Bigger projects have their own pages and advertisement. (I don't need a forum to find "open/libre office").
So it is very well possible that our infrastructure (i.e. that because the community itself is smaller, there are less distributed places) helps the visibility of smaller apps. Note, that this does not mean big apps are less visible. Just the ratio in visibility changes.

The solution is simple: Go and spread the word.

https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Projects_using_Free_Pascal
Remember that list is only a fraction of what is out there....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version