Forum > General

Strange error with arccos()

(1/12) > >>

linuxbob:
I am working on a project that needs to convert between rectangular and polar coordinates. I am sometimes getting an error:

"Project R2P raised exception class 'External: FLT INVALID OPERATION'. If I proceed, the debugger jumps to the assembler instruction window at the instruction 'sqrtsd xmm0, xmm2'.

In the debugger, the error occurs on this FP code:

rx1 := rx * arccos(ry);

where ry is an angular value between -Pi and +Pi radians. The next code line is:

ry1 := rx * arcsin(ry);

which never produces an error.

The intention of this code is, given a vector rx at angle ry, to load rx1 with the X coordinate of the vector and load ry1 with the y coordinate of the vector. I am an electrical engineer by profession, and I use these values to determine the amount of kvars I need to mitigate a poor power factor.

Suggestions?

mtrsoft:
You are trying to take the square root of a negative number.

The algorithym that calculates arccos has a square root in it.

The "principal range" for arccos(y) is 0 <= y <= Pi and for arcsin(y) is -Pi/2 <= y <= Pi/2.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_functions

Regards,
John

Paolo:
From what you say the input range of ry is invalid for arccos (you said +-pi) Argument for arccos must be |arg|<= 1. I suspect that you are doing something conceptually wrong, argument of arccos should not be an angular value. But please provide some line of code.

wp:
The best function to get the polar angle from cartesian coordinates (x, y) is the function arctan2(y, x) because it also finds the correct quadrant for the angle.

Paolo:
Just to complete the answer. Given (R,T) polar coordinate and (X,Y) rectangular coordinate the relationship is
X=R*cos(T)
Y=R*sin(T)
And
R=SQRT(X^2+Y^2)
T=ARCTAN2(Y,X)  --> arctan2 handle correctly the sign of X and Y
I hope this can help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version