Forum > TAChart

[possible bug] adding a mark always changes axis range min/max

<< < (3/3)

wp:

--- Quote from: Muso on July 25, 2022, 06:49:23 pm ---So please tell me what I should/could test on Friday.

--- End quote ---
Write a litte chart application with some dummy series, similar to what you do in your real application(s). Add the new tool and try to find out how to use it. Play with it and tell me if there is something which behaves incorrectly or is not intuitive (I can't promise that I'll change it, but if you don't tell me it certainly will never be changed).

Muso:

--- Quote from: wp on July 25, 2022, 06:58:36 pm ---Write a litte chart application with some dummy series, similar to what you do in your real application(s). Add the new tool and try to find out how to use it. Play with it and tell me if there is something which behaves incorrectly or is not intuitive

--- End quote ---
I could not resist and thus tested it before the weekend  :)
Awesome work!

Here are some comments after an hour of playing with the tool in my real-life application:

- my experience is that users need a visual hint that something is clickable. Therefore the tool should have an "onHover" event. The idea is that when the user moved the mouse over a mark the cursor changes. Moreover I would also need this feature to display something.

- a new experience for me is that some people love writing lengthy texts into the marks and they clutter the chart. my idea is that there is a setting in marks that when on, will only display the first 3 words (adjustable). When the user moves the mouse over a mark, the full mark text is displayed as a popup (like a tooltip).

wp:

--- Quote from: Muso on July 27, 2022, 09:54:17 pm ---- my experience is that users need a visual hint that something is clickable. Therefore the tool should have an "onHover" event. The idea is that when the user moved the mouse over a mark the cursor changes. Moreover I would also need this feature to display something.

--- End quote ---
No idea, at the moment. Each tool has an ActiveCursor property which you could set to crHandPoint. But this becomes active only with the tool, i.e. when the click already has occured.

--- Quote from: Muso on July 27, 2022, 09:54:17 pm ---- a new experience for me is that some people love writing lengthy texts into the marks and they clutter the chart. my idea is that there is a setting in marks that when on, will only display the first 3 words (adjustable). When the user moves the mouse over a mark, the full mark text is displayed as a popup (like a tooltip).

--- End quote ---
I think this requires yet another new tool, a TDatapointMarkHintTool... Beyond that, I think I gave an example of a "dual-use" mark text recently. Each series has an OnGetMark event which defines the text displayed as mark - extract the first 3 words from the full mark text (stored in the Text field of the datapoint record). The tool, on the other hand, could display the full mark text.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version