Recent

Author Topic: Status of Z80 cross compiler?  (Read 5783 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Status of Z80 cross compiler?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2022, 04:55:08 pm »
I used fpcupdeluxe to download FPC trunk rather than via a version control system, as I haven't used one before. I have only ever used the command line version of Git that is part of MSYS2 and even then I did not make any changes to the downloaded code before compiling.

The command line version of Git is what I use as well though without MSYS2, but Git for Windosw directly. But you can see what I meant also in the web interface which is why I gave you that link.

Then you might have to wait a long time, because it's a very low priority task on my very long ToDo list.
It isn't that high a priority for me either, as so few Z80 machines even had more than 64Kb of memory.

I would also have a lot to learn before I could add support for another machine to the same level as you have already done for MSX-DOS.

Adding a new target is a rather nice beginner task, in fact that was what I had started with as well around 10 years ago. In addition to my adding of MSX-DOS you can also take a look here. The guide might be a bit old, but in general it should still work.

Wysardry

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2023, 06:41:11 pm »
Thank you. This is starting to sound a lot simpler than I originally thought, although I will still have a lot to learn.

I have a related question (that probably doesn't warrant a new thread): would adding another 8-bit CPU be something that a beginner could tackle?

I would like to write programs for the 6809 processor and the Dragon 32/64 computers at some point. There are existing cross assemblers available.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 09:32:08 pm »
I have a related question (that probably doesn't warrant a new thread): would adding another 8-bit CPU be something that a beginner could tackle?

I would like to write programs for the 6809 processor and the Dragon 32/64 computers at some point. There are existing cross assemblers available.

Adding a new platform is definitely more involved and you should first get familiar a bit more with the compiler. Though you can give it a try...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018