Recent

Author Topic: MyLangEdit 2.0 for editing PO-Files, written in Lazarus  (Read 626 times)

MaxLemberger

MyLangEdit 2.0 for editing PO-Files, written in Lazarus
« on: December 16, 2023, 06:16:08 pm »

https://lazarus.intern.ws/mylangedit_po_editor.html

MyLangEdit has a different approach than most PO editors.

In Version 2 you can quickly make translations with one button click in every line.

You can get translations direct from Internet and save every line of translation in a firebird database for further use. And check translation with any online translators with one click.

You can save back the content from older translations or other translations to database.

MyLangEdit was created by a (Lazarus) programmer for programmers. Regardless of this, the program offers many features that are very useful for anyone who creates translations for self-made or third-party programs.  With MyLangEdit you can create lists that are very useful to set parameters in programming to make translations shorter and easier.

MyLangEdit was created last with Lazarus 2.2.6 (October, 7, 2023). But it is not only useful for programming, but also for a quick translation using a translation tool like Google Translate. I don't know Italian and French and I managed the translation for MyLangEdit with these languages in about 2 hours for each language (= 4 hours).

And I have adjusted some translations with back translation for verification so that these translations are "ok". I think a French or an Italian will smile about this translation, but they will understand what to do.

Creating the list to translate with a translator like Google Translate or the Deepl Translator and returning/accepting this translation did not take more than half an hour for the MyLangEdit program. The translation can be checked beforehand. To accept the translation is then only a click on the Apply button.

The translated elements/lines are marked so that after the translation you can comfortably check how it looks like. See description for <return translated>.

On the other hand, the sorted translation list can be used to check if there are translations with the same text very often and the program can be changed and a resource can be created. So the translation has to be done only once. I did this for some lines for MyLangEdit, but not for all.

Further in a simple way the translations can be selected, which should not appear in the PO file. In Lazarus you can then specify these keys in the i18n tab of the project and these words/texts will not be listed in the translation file.

If you also work with a program like PoEdit, the parameters these programs put in the translation will not be lost and will be returned to the translated PO file.

Some indicators like "#, fuzzy" (means the translation is present but not good) or "#| msgstr" (means the translation needs to be checked) can be searched. This way they can be deleted very easily, because as long as these indicators are present in the translation you will not see the translation, but the original string built into the program. It can also be searched very quickly other terms in the translation like "#, ", "#, object-pascal-format" and "msgctxt". And you can search for your own search text in the finished new PO file.

This way you can still make final changes in the new PO file before saving it.

And if the work has to be interrupted, the work data can be saved and read in again at a later time. This function is also useful for saving the current status of the work. In the event of a power failure, for example, the work files are then available again with the saved status. Thus, for example, the markings of the lines remain contained and these can continue to be used after loading the work data.

Another possibility is to deliver MyLangEdit with the created programs and thus to create a comfortable possibility for program users to implement their native language into the program. In MyLangEdit it is done as a template like this.

Download:
https://lazarus.intern.ws/mylangedit_po_download.html

TinyPortal © 2005-2018