Forum > General

I cannot build 64-bit IDE

<< < (2/3) > >>

Thaddy:
That is nonsense: a 64 bit cross compiler win 64 to win 32 results in a compiler that supports extended 80 bit. So really bad advice. Ignore it.

On another note: Although on windows a 64 bit extended is really a double as standard, there is a well hidden option to build the compiler to support 80 bit extended although this is not very well known and Florian - who implemented this - discourages its use, because it is not win64 ABI compliant. On linux it is not an issue.

tetrastes:

--- Quote from: Thaddy on July 15, 2022, 06:31:00 pm ---That is nonsense: a 64 bit cross compiler win 64 to win 32 results in a compiler that supports extended 80 bit. So really bad advice. Ignore it.

--- End quote ---
I have not understood, do you think that it is my advice? This is advice from oliverhbailey's picture of fpcupdeluxe, which you have recommended in your previous post. You are somewhat inconsistent in your recommendations.  :D

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: Thaddy on July 15, 2022, 06:31:00 pm ---That is nonsense: a 64 bit cross compiler win 64 to win 32 results in a compiler that supports extended 80 bit. So really bad advice. Ignore it.
--- End quote ---

Wrong. The cross compiler from Win64 to i386, i8086 or any other x86_64 target is not supported by us currently, because it results in different code than what a native compiler would generate (because the Win64 compiler can not correctly evaluate 80-bit floating point at compile time)

Zoran:
Thank you all.

What I understand actually is that on Windows there is 32-bit compiler and 64-bit cross-compiler. And, as far as I get it, it is so, regardless of whether Lazarus IDE is built as 32-bit or 64-bit application.
Is that correct?

So, my original question is only why I cannot build the IDE as 64-bit application from the IDE itself (as I said, I can from command line).

So, with details from my first post in this topic, is there anything I do wrong?

tetrastes:

--- Quote from: Zoran on July 16, 2022, 05:15:03 pm ---What I understand actually is that on Windows there is 32-bit compiler and 64-bit cross-compiler. And, as far as I get it, it is so, regardless of whether Lazarus IDE is built as 32-bit or 64-bit application.
Is that correct?

--- End quote ---
No. Official Lazarus distribution for Win64 has native 64-bit compiler (ppcx64.exe), and fpc.exe is 64-bit also. Lazarus add-on for cross-compiling from Win64 to Win32 in fact installs native Win32 32-bit compiler ppc386.exe, not real cross-compiler.

--- Quote from: Zoran on July 16, 2022, 05:15:03 pm ---So, my original question is only why I cannot build the IDE as 64-bit application from the IDE itself (as I said, I can from command line).

--- End quote ---
I think that this is bug in the IDE (see my first reply). The -P<cpu_type> is not passed to fpc, without it your 32-bit fpc.exe runs 32-bit ppc386.exe, and you get error that -Twin64 is illegal parameter. I have 64-bit fpc.exe, so without -Pi386 it runs 64-bit ppcx64.exe, and I get error that -Twin32 is illegal parameter.

--- Quote from: Zoran on July 16, 2022, 05:15:03 pm ---So, with details from my first post in this topic, is there anything I do wrong?

--- End quote ---
No.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version