Forum > General

Cannot clean and Build - errors

<< < (2/3) > >>

dbannon:
You clearly have a working FPC, just build your Lazarus from source. That way, all of lazarus is in user space and Lazarus does not have to do the things it does to of rebuilding itself in your config dir.

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_Linux#Build_Lazarus_from_Source

Its interesting that you are the second recent Mint user to have a problem (vaguely) like this. While it needs to be solved, the Lazarus Developers cannot test on every Linux distribution, whats going on, I cannot tell but building from source, and having all the code and units in user space will almost certainly fix things. Its easy and very flexible.

Davo

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: QEnnay on July 02, 2022, 08:43:16 pm ---I give up. That would not compile anything after deleting that /usr/ ...2.2.2 ... /units folder.

--- End quote ---

So do I, because you didn't look at the ownership of the .compiled file that was causing the problem despite both Martin and myself suggesting that you needed to.

The most likely cause is that you'd got at least some of the Lazarus files owned as root, or that the directory structure had been created as root-owned. But now neither you nor people better placed to fix the underlying problem will ever know.

MarkMLl

Martin_fr:

--- Quote ---/usr/share/lazarus
--- End quote ---

I did also ask about the access rights.
Files in that location usually are owned by root.

So, if I take a wild guess and assume that to be the case, then you need to build them as root.

wp:
AFAIK, in Linux, you should start Lazarus with the "startlazarus" application rather than with the "lazarus" binary directly. This way the compiled files are written to your user space, and later you can select whether you want to use the originally installed version or the recompiled version.

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: wp on July 03, 2022, 12:16:12 pm ---AFAIK, in Linux, you should start Lazarus with the "startlazarus" application rather than with the "lazarus" binary directly. This way the compiled files are written to your user space, and later you can select whether you want to use the originally installed version or the recompiled version.

--- End quote ---

Would that really make a difference? I thought startlazarus was there as a restart shim if the IDE etc. was rebuilt.

In my case I put local builds of the IDE into /usr/local/share and make them staff-writable. I've also got startup scripts which handle --pcp automatically to prevent grossly-different versions confusing each other.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version