Forum > Linux

Lazarus on VM - which distribution?

(1/4) > >>

Nicole:
At the moment I run Lazarus on a VMWare - Win 10.
Until the interface after a suspension shows up, - I go for a coffee in between.

My Delphi VM with Win 7 ist several times as quick.

What would you recommend?
I ask myself, if Linux would speed up the thing.
If you think this wise, which distrubiton would you recommend?
It would be great, to have link of a prefab VM for VMWare, as I am not good at Linux and installing it is hard to me.

Thanks!

Handoko:
I heard a lot Manjaro mentioned in the forum. So I believe it should be okay.

I personally prefer Ubuntu, not because it is better but because they have large user base, so it should be easier to find information if I have problem with it. I'm using Ubuntu Mate, it is a lightweight flavor of Ubuntu. Linux Mint, which is a non -official flavor of Ubuntu, is frequently mentioned in the forum. You should consider Linux Mint too.

For your information, some years ago Lazarus had installation issues with Ubuntu, Mate and Mint. But as far as I know recent versions of Lazarus no longer have that problem.

I ever tried Manjaro, Fedora, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Linux Mint, all of them are very easy to instal. Just some clicks, provide some information and wait.

rvk:

--- Quote from: Nicole on June 30, 2022, 02:55:20 pm ---At the moment I run Lazarus on a VMWare - Win 10.
Until the interface after a suspension shows up, - I go for a coffee in between.
My Delphi VM with Win 7 ist several times as quick.
What would you recommend?

--- End quote ---
I would recommend trying Lazarus in the Win7 VM.
If Delphi starts up fast, Lazarus should start even faster on that VM.

(You can run Delphi and Lazarus perfectly side-by-side in the same VM)

You can also copy the Delphi VM to a new VM and use that one.
You probably have the Win10 VM configured poorly or have insufficient resources (regarding memory etc).

Handoko:
I use VirtualBox on Ubuntu Mate. When I had 6GB of memory, my computer run poorly. After upgraded to 8GB, it runs smoothly now. 2GB makes a big difference in my case.

Maybe OP needs to upgrade the computer's memory.

Zvoni:
As to the original Question:
I'm very satisfied with Manjaro, Cinnamon-Desktop and LightDM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version