Forum > Databases

MySQL or MariaDB

(1/3) > >>

calm_sea:
Hello! For a proprietary licensed project, is it better to use MySQL or MariaDB as a server? Does the problem arise only for client licenses? Are those of Lazarus LGPL? I had a doubt because I read in wikipedia that only MariaDB has an LGPL license (therefore for closed source projects)

mangakissa:
Mariadb is developped from MySQL, because MySQL is heading forward to  licensed database with support.
Mariadb is a community edition just like MySQL was.

Handoko:
I cannot say much about the license, and I'm not an expert in database programming. But I have bad experience installing MySQL.

Some years ago, my client wanted to install UniCenta, an open source POS system. UniCenta itself supported many well-known databases. The first choice in my head was MySQL, well ... I chose it because I heard a lot about it.

I downloaded and tried to install MySQL on the client's computer, a Windows 7 system. It said it requires dot net version xxx. I checked the computer, the system only had version 3.5 installed. So I tried the older version of MySQL that can run on dot net 3.5. Unfortunately, it said it requires certain version MS VC++. So I tried to install that MS VC++. Yet I couldn't install it, because that required the Windows to update to the newer service pack.

I gave up. After doing some research on the web, they said MariaDB can be used as a drop-in replacement for MySQL. Because MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, I didn't think I would have better luck. Surprisingly to me, I could install MariaDB on the first attempt.

That was my story installing MySQL. My first try and I believe that would be my last.

Zvoni:

--- Quote from: Handoko on June 28, 2022, 12:45:33 pm ---I cannot say much about the license, and I'm not an expert in database programming. But I have bad experience installing MySQL.

Some years ago, my client wanted to install UniCenta, an open source POS system. UniCenta itself supported many well-known databases. The first choice in my head was MySQL, well ... I chose it because I heard a lot about it.

I downloaded and tried to install MySQL on the client's computer, a Windows 7 system. It said it requires dot net version xxx. I checked the computer, the system only had version 3.5 installed. So I tried the older version of MySQL that can run on dot net 3.5. Unfortunately, it said it requires certain version MS VC++. So I tried to install that MS VC++. Yet I couldn't install it, because that required the Windows to update to the newer service pack.

I gave up. After doing some research on the web, they said MariaDB can be used as a drop-in replacement for MySQL. Because MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, I didn't think I would have better luck. Surprisingly to me, I could install MariaDB on the first attempt.

That was my story installing MySQL. My first try and I believe that would be my last.

--- End quote ---
This has nothing to do with MySQL, but everything with Winbloze.
And i've installed MySQL enough times on FreeBSD and/or Linux, to not need more than 20 minutes including initial setup of Root-Password etc.

Handoko:
I understand that is not all MySQL fault. But I can't understand why (older versions of) MySQL Windows depended so much on .Net and Ms VC++ and Win7 latest service pack. They could make it more old-system friendly, at least I could install MariaDB latest version on that system, which MySQL older versions refused to install.

MySQL

--- Quote ---Requirements for Windows
The following prerequisites are available at the Microsoft Download Center:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable
- Microsoft Windows 11 or Windows Server 2022

--- End quote ---
Source: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/wb-requirements.html

I checked MariaDB requirements, they do not mention any .Net, Visual C/++ nor latest version of Windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version