Forum > General

Problem has suddenly appeared [Resolved]

(1/4) > >>

KesterKick:
I have two desktop computers both running the Linux Mint 20.0.3 XFCE operating system and both with Lazarus 2.0.6 installed. Lazarus in one is fine but an odd problem has occurred in the other as follows.  While starting a new project and working on it is ok while I remain in Lazarus, once I save my project and exit Lazarus the problem begins. When I load my saved project, Lazarus opens and displays a blank form.  If I toggle Unit/Form the original form appears along with the blank form - both are labelled Form1.  When I try to run the project it is the blank form that appears.  I notice also that the tabs in the edit window show two units one labelled 'unit1' and the other 'Unit1(2)' (the use of the capital 'U' in the second unit may be significant or not).  The unit1 is a new unit and Unit1(2) contains my original programming.  The problem also affects all my old projects which worked perfectly until a couple of days ago.  Fortunately I had copied the executable file from these projects to another location so I can run the programs but the executables within the project folders exhibit the same problem.

I have uninstalled Lazarus completely and re-installed with no improvement so it seems that the problem is with a dependency that is not an actual part of the installation.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

MarkMLl:
To try to get the ball rolling: are there any symlinks in the paths via which your project, any libraries etc., the Lazarus files and the FPC sources are accessed?

I'd suggest also looking carefully at the commands being used to start the IDE, and seeing whether you can replicate the problem from a shell session (which might also produce some useful error messages).

In particular, look to see whether the --pcp option is involved, and possibly then look at project options to see whether there's something odd in there although it sounds more like an IDE issue than an FPC invocation issue.

MarkMLl

KesterKick:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your quick response.  I am a bit out of my depth with most of your reply - for example how do I start a shell session? Where and how do I check the --pp option?  Although reasonably competent on the computer I'm still a fairly basic user of Lazarus so please forgive my naivety in this area.

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: KesterKick on June 24, 2022, 09:52:14 am ---Hi Mark,

Thanks for your quick response.  I am a bit out of my depth with most of your reply - for example how do I start a shell session? Where and how do I check the --pp option?  Although reasonably competent on the computer I'm still a fairly basic user of Lazarus so please forgive my naivety in this area.

--- End quote ---

(Wince :-) I'm not sure that this is the best place to discuss elementary Linux topics, but (a) depending on the details of the GUI that your variant of Linux provides look for "Konsole" on KDE or some variant of a "terminal emulator" etc. (b) Check your options via whatever the GUI provides for menu entries, and look for the --pcp option... any discussion of pp(something) is different. Then transfer the command to your shell session and investigate what happens.

I think you also need to make clear where you got that particular Lazarus: did it come with the distro or whence did you download it?

MarkMLl

tetrastes:

--- Quote from: KesterKick on June 23, 2022, 10:45:51 pm ---I notice also that the tabs in the edit window show two units one labelled 'unit1' and the other 'Unit1(2)' (the use of the capital 'U' in the second unit may be significant or not).  The unit1 is a new unit and Unit1(2) contains my original programming. 

--- End quote ---

Check if you didn't rename somehow your original unit1.pas to Unit1.pas, as Linux file system is case sensitive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version