Forum > Database

Coming from Delphi XE 3 and DBGrid - what to use?

(1/3) > >>

Nicole:
I have a Delphi application, which I think over to migrate to Lazarus.
There I used Delphi XE 3, Firebird and FireDAC. Well, it is old.

What I used excessivly is DBGrid. I comibned it with queries and calcEvents and a lot of stuff, which fields allow.
So rather complex.

What can I use if I migrate to Delphi?
Zeos looks great, but will it work as FireDAC? Firedac has a lot of tricks and block-reading and so on.
What about DBGrid? Somewhere I read "coming soon for Lazarus", which may mean, "wait some years".

Does anybody have hints or links or components for me?
Even the hint "forget it and mess on with the old thing" would be useful.

Thanks.

marcov:
Lazarus has a TDBGrid for a long time now, don't know where you got that.

As for database components, you have three choices, two that also work on Delphi:

- Lazarus/FPC's  own database components called fcl-db
- Zeos
- Since you use interbase/firebird: IBX

I don't know Firedac intimately as I already switched from Delphi native components to Zeos before it emerged.

Maybe before you start porting, just try to make a simple database in Lazarus?

avra:

--- Quote from: Nicole on June 17, 2022, 10:48:37 am ---What I used excessivly is DBGrid. I comibned it with queries and calcEvents and a lot of stuff, which fields allow.
So rather complex.
--- End quote ---
DBGrid exists in Lazarus, but I do not know if everything you used is supported. Prepare for some work.

--- Quote from: Nicole on June 17, 2022, 10:48:37 am ---What can I use if I migrate to Delphi?
Zeos looks great, but will it work as FireDAC? Firedac has a lot of tricks and block-reading and so on.
--- End quote ---
Zeos and IBX exist for Delphi too, so they could be the easier path for you.

If I had to move a project like that to Lazarus, the quickest way would be to change Delphi project so that it has as much Lazarus compatible components as posible and have a working project in Delphi IDE first, and ONLY THEN use the convertor and continue further with compilation troubleshooting and manual adaption in Lazarus IDE.

Otherwise you might come to a position that you bite more then you can chew...

Nicole:
Thank you for the answers.

FireDac is - to my mind - inspirated by Embarcadero. And they worked with Borland's interbase.
So if Zeos is taken from Interbase, the both FireDac and Zeos may be cousins.

This migration of software gives me HUGE respect. I tried this conversion utility Delphi to Lazarus for forms and the success is near zero. It seems far away of converting even simple parts of components.

An endless story are the uses lists. They are rather long and about 80% or them is "unknown". Like system.forms and system.graphis and even buttons or so. There SHALL be a way different from mine, otherwise nearly nobody would migrate anything.

Is there a smart way for this endless uses-lists?

The information, that TBStringGrid / DBGrid would not exist now, is from here:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/LCL_Documentation_Roadmap

dseligo:

--- Quote from: Nicole on June 17, 2022, 02:42:46 pm ---The information, that TBStringGrid / DBGrid would not exist now, is from here:
https://wiki.freepascal.org/LCL_Documentation_Roadmap

--- End quote ---

That page is about documentation, not components:
--- Quote ---This page is intended to keep track of the progress of the LCL documentation
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version