Recent

Author Topic: Does the windows installer provided on SF set a PATH to fpc.exe?  (Read 3979 times)

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: Does the windows installer provided on SF set a PATH to fpc.exe?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2022, 02:08:53 pm »
Just in case you should need it, I've attached a project that lists all detected FPC and Lazarus installations (if they were done with the installers):

THIS IS FRIGGIN AWESOME !!!

I thought that you might like that :P

Now... Would you be willing to put this in a GitHub/GitLab repo so I can bombard you with issues and suggestions on how we can have this tool available for GitHub actions and/or GitLab whatchyamacallit CD?

If I should find the time I'll try to do so...

Since I now have Laz 1.6 with FPC 3.0.0 as well as Laz 2.2.0 with FPC 3.2.2  and had some difficulty with the secondary instalation, I downloaded this program to see whether I had anything 'extranious' lurking.

I had to add a [Read(Ch)] to see the result of course but was somewhat surprised to find that it didn't report that I had FPC 3.2.2  installed. 

ScreenGrab of the output attached in case this is of interest.

Would you please check whether there is an entry in one of the registry keys mentioned in the source that would match your missing installation? Cause it's a bit of a heuristic that's going on there and it might not be accurate enough... And are you on Windows 32- or 64-bit? If the later are you compiling as 32- or 64-bit?

J-G

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 03:01:38 pm »
Would you please check whether there is an entry in one of the registry keys mentioned in the source that would match your missing installation? Cause it's a bit of a heuristic that's going on there and it might not be accurate enough... And are you on Windows 32- or 64-bit? If the later are you compiling as 32- or 64-bit?

I'm 100% sure as to what you are asking there. I've just used RegEdit and can see an entry [wow6432Node] but don't see any entry under that for FPC or Lazarus.

My system is 64 bit and I normally compile for 32bit but for your program I made no changes to the [Options] -- ie. the Target platform entries are all [Default].

[EDIT]
After a little more research, I've found a reference to 'Lazarus.AssocFile.lfm' (plus .inc, .lpi  etc.) under [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT]  and these all point to the Laz 1.6 installation. There is also an entry for FPCPASFile etc.   As suggested, when I installed Laz 2.2 as a 'secondary install', I purposly told it to NOT associate files so am wondering if that may be the reason for your program not to find FPC3.2.2  %)

Clutching a straws to some extent but the observation may give you a pointer.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:34:20 pm by J-G »
FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno

• Professional amateur ;-P
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2022, 08:20:27 am »
Hey PascalDragon,

I thought that you might like that :P

I do indeed, and again, so many thanks for this kewl tool :)

If I should find the time I'll try to do so...

I couldn't ask any more of you, so please do not re-arrange your schedule in any way just to accommodate a humble request of mine.
Earning the daily bread ALWAYS takes precedence !!
That and family :P

Cheers,
Gus
Lazarus 3.99(main) FPC 3.3.1(main) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
Lazarus 3.0.0(stable) FPC 3.2.2(stable) Ubuntu 23.10 64b Dark Theme
http://github.com/gcarreno

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2022, 08:56:45 am »

I'm 100% sure as to what you are asking there. I've just used RegEdit and can see an entry [wow6432Node] but don't see any entry under that for FPC or Lazarus.

I had said that you should look in the registry keys I had mentioned in the source, cause I couldn't look it up right now, so here is the full keys you need to look at:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WoW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

This is where the utility finds the installations and where Windows also retrieves them from for display in the Uninstall control pane. The installations themselves are subkeys and values like Publisher of these are the ones looked at.

My system is 64 bit and I normally compile for 32bit but for your program I made no changes to the [Options] -- ie. the Target platform entries are all [Default].

That is not enough information, cause I don't know what the Default setting of your Lazarus is as this doesn't depend on your host system but on whether you have installed the 64- or 32-bit version of Lazarus.

[EDIT]
After a little more research, I've found a reference to 'Lazarus.AssocFile.lfm' (plus .inc, .lpi  etc.) under [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT]  and these all point to the Laz 1.6 installation. There is also an entry for FPCPASFile etc.   As suggested, when I installed Laz 2.2 as a 'secondary install', I purposly told it to NOT associate files so am wondering if that may be the reason for your program not to find FPC3.2.2  %)

The file associations are not relevant for this, though this could indeed be used to find out whether there are remnants of an installation (but that's not the purpose of my tool).

J-G

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2022, 11:29:35 am »
I had said that you should look in the registry keys I had mentioned in the source, cause I couldn't look it up right now, so here is the full keys you need to look at:
Ah -  appologies PascalDragon  -  I ought to have been able to fathom that  :-[

I have now looked properly and find the reference to Lazarus_is1 & Lazarus_sec_9886.......  under the first 'base' but only FreePascal_is1 under the second  ie. no reference to FPC 3.2.2

Quote from: PascalDragon

That is not enough information, cause I don't know what the Default setting of your Lazarus is as this doesn't depend on your host system but on whether you have installed the 64- or 32-bit version of Lazarus.
Again appologies - I meant my Lazarus system is a 64bit installation - and can now see that you might be misled into thinking that I meant my PC System was 64bit.

I can fully understand that your utility can only report what it finds in the Registry and only responded in the hope that my system not reporting the FPC3.2.2 installation would point you to something that you had over-looked and might then be able to address.
Win 7 Ult 64

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2022, 02:31:11 pm »
I have now looked properly and find the reference to Lazarus_is1 & Lazarus_sec_9886.......  under the first 'base' but only FreePascal_is1 under the second  ie. no reference to FPC 3.2.2

Is that installer listed in Windows' Uninstall control pane?

And I suddenly got an idea while rereading your original message about this again:

Since I now have Laz 1.6 with FPC 3.0.0 as well as Laz 2.2.0 with FPC 3.2.2  and had some difficulty with the secondary instalation, I downloaded this program to see whether I had anything 'extranious' lurking.

Did you really install that FPC 3.2.2 you provided in the screenshot? Or are you simply using the FPC provided with the Lazarus installer? Cause then it's clear that you wouldn't find anything...

Again appologies - I meant my Lazarus system is a 64bit installation - and can now see that you might be misled into thinking that I meant my PC System was 64bit.

Thanks, so at least it shouldn't be a problem with the registry virtualization then...

J-G

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2022, 02:51:19 pm »
Is that installer listed in Windows' Uninstall control pane?
Yes.
And I suddenly got an idea while rereading your original message about this again:

Did you really install that FPC 3.2.2 you provided in the screenshot? Or are you simply using the FPC provided with the Lazarus installer? Cause then it's clear that you wouldn't find anything...

That's a very subtle distinction and I hadn't appreciated that there might be a difference. Yes - or rather NO, I didn't install FPC3.2.2 per se - I simply installed Lazarus and that (I thought) installed FPC3.2.2  -  sometime the logic of Compiler/RAD/IDE just eludes me  :o

I think I'm re-assured that I have nothing 'lurking' - or even missing for that matter - and that your utility hasn't missed something.

Win 7 Ult 64

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 09:01:09 am »
That's a very subtle distinction and I hadn't appreciated that there might be a difference. Yes - or rather NO, I didn't install FPC3.2.2 per se - I simply installed Lazarus and that (I thought) installed FPC3.2.2  -  sometime the logic of Compiler/RAD/IDE just eludes me  :o

At least on Windows that's not a subtle, but an important distinction, cause there the Lazarus installer comes bundled with its own FPC distribution and they're not (un)installed separately. The FPC installer is completely independent of the Lazarus one and the main intention is to install it if you either don't use Lazarus at all or you want to use a different version of FPC with your existing Lazarus installation.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018