Forum > Windows (32/64)

Does the windows installer provided on SF set a PATH to fpc.exe?

(1/5) > >>

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey Y'all,

Please allow me to ask this very dumb question. :-[

I got this rather strange request on my setup-lazarus GitHub action: Windows: add path to FPC to PAHT env variable.

I say rather strange because I was under the impression that it was already done via the installer provided on Source Forge, which my GitHub action uses.

Being a Linux only person for quite some time, and not having easy access to a Windows machine, I can't quickly test if it does or not.

Hence me being quite dumbfounded and coming here with this rather dumb question  :-[ and relying on your good will to give me a definitive answer.

Cheers,
Gus

Zvoni:
As far as i can see: No, it doesn't set/edit the PATH-Variable
And i installed Lazarus 2.2.2 last week on my Win10-Machine.
fpc.exe doesn't pop up anywhere in my environment variables

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey Zvoni,

--- Quote from: Zvoni on May 31, 2022, 08:38:20 am ---As far as i can see: No, it doesn't set/edit the PATH-Variable

--- End quote ---

Well, I'm absolutely sure that it adds the path where lazbuild resides to the system PATH variable due to the fact that the way you call lazbuild on a CD script on the GitHub actions is without a fully qualified path. So in this case the system has to have knowledge of where the lazbuild.exe file is located.

--- Quote from: Zvoni on May 31, 2022, 08:38:20 am ---fpc.exe doesn't pop up anywhere in my environment variables

--- End quote ---

Ermm, I may have muddled the issue here. There will be no mention of fpc.exe on the system PATH variable. What will appear is the path that contains such binary/executable.
I'm really sorry if anyone thought I implied that fpc.exe should show on the system PATH variable.

Cheers,
Gus

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on May 31, 2022, 08:18:36 am ---Being a Linux only person for quite some time, and not having easy access to a Windows machine, I can't quickly test if it does or not.
--- End quote ---

No savourer of some good wine then? :P

I have not checked, but all in all it would make sense that Lazarus only adds the path to lazbuild to the PATH (if at all), but not the one to its provided fpc cause the point of Lazarus is after all to build Lazarus projects for which you should use lazbuild which uses the Lazarus configuration which in turn has knowledge about the location of the compiler.

If you install FPC itself on the other hand I think (again, not tested) that it allows you to add the directory of fpc.exe to PATH cause after all you want to be able to use fpc directly in that case...

Zvoni:

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on May 31, 2022, 08:51:41 am ---Hey Zvoni,

--- Quote from: Zvoni on May 31, 2022, 08:38:20 am ---As far as i can see: No, it doesn't set/edit the PATH-Variable

--- End quote ---

Well, I'm absolutely sure that it adds the path where lazbuild resides to the system PATH variable due to the fact that the way you call lazbuild on a CD script on the GitHub actions is without a fully qualified path. So in this case the system has to have knowledge of where the lazbuild.exe file is located.

--- Quote from: Zvoni on May 31, 2022, 08:38:20 am ---fpc.exe doesn't pop up anywhere in my environment variables

--- End quote ---

Ermm, I may have muddled the issue here. There will be no mention of fpc.exe on the system PATH variable. What will appear is the path that contains such binary/executable.
I'm really sorry if anyone thought I implied that fpc.exe should show on the system PATH variable.

Cheers,
Gus

--- End quote ---
OK, i might have phrased it wrong:
I've looked through my System-Variables, looking for "c:\Lazarus\blablablabla"
and nothing like that pops up there

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version