Forum > Linux

[Solved] Differentiate between various Linux distros

<< < (4/5) > >>

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: friend on May 30, 2022, 09:55:37 am ---You don't know what you're talking about. This cannot even be called "news" -- now the association is unsurprising for someone whose profile picture is a flag of Ukraine and recently called the President of the Russian Federation a criminal in his signature. You seem to like talking about what you don't know.
I bet you haven't even read about the reasons why systemd is criticized.

--- End quote ---

I suggest that it is inappropriate for somebody with so little experience of this forum to express himself so strongly, and in particular to drag international events into the discussion: events which contravene international law and custom.

Apart from that: systemd is not part of Linux per se., in the same way that the GNU utilities and the X11 windowing system are not part of Linux. As such any discussion of it is off-topic and irrelevant to the OP's question.

MarkMLl

petevick:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on May 30, 2022, 11:01:42 am ---[I suggest that it is inappropriate for somebody with so little experience of this forum to express himself so strongly, and in particular to drag international events into the discussion: events which contravene international law and custom.

Apart from that: systemd is not part of Linux per se., in the same way that the GNU utilities and the X11 windowing system are not part of Linux. As such any discussion of it is off-topic and irrelevant to the OP's question.

MarkMLl

--- End quote ---
Gotta love the voice of reason  ;)

friend:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on May 30, 2022, 11:01:42 am ---
I suggest that it is inappropriate for somebody with so little experience of this forum to express himself so strongly, and in particular to drag international events into the discussion: events which contravene international law and custom.

MarkMLl

--- End quote ---

Can't wait till I have a couple of thousand posts here to be able to express myself more boldly.  ;)
I just mentioned his avatar and signature -- not dragging the thing itself into the discussion, I simple made an observation about his manifest opinion on a subject and his comment on another; both spring forth from the same mental state.
You are right about it being off-topic and not related to the OP's question; so are half a dozen posts above mine including yours.
I believe Kays was being ironic in his post (since /etc/os-release is part of systemd's specification and is possibly not present in better distributions that do not use that dung).

440bx:

--- Quote from: friend on May 30, 2022, 09:55:37 am ---...called the President of the Russian Federation a criminal in his signature. You seem to like talking about what you don't know.

--- End quote ---
I like precision and accuracy, therefore it is necessary to point out that calling a criminal, a criminal, is nothing other than an accurate description. Just like a square is called a square, an array is called an array and, unsurprisingly, a criminal is called a criminal.  What's not surprising is that criminals and, apparently their sympathizers, don't care for accurate descriptions.

Programmers should be accurate.

Zvoni:
I remember using "Conky" on my Linux-Laptop, and there i'm able to pull out Distro, Kernel-Version, Desktop etc.
Would have to look at the source-code again, but i think Gus with "lsb_release" is close

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version