Recent

Author Topic: [Solved] Differentiate between various Linux distros  (Read 2572 times)

MarkMLl

Re: Differentiate between various Linux distros
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 11:01:42 am »
You don't know what you're talking about. This cannot even be called "news" -- now the association is unsurprising for someone whose profile picture is a flag of Ukraine and recently called the President of the Russian Federation a criminal in his signature. You seem to like talking about what you don't know.
I bet you haven't even read about the reasons why systemd is criticized.

I suggest that it is inappropriate for somebody with so little experience of this forum to express himself so strongly, and in particular to drag international events into the discussion: events which contravene international law and custom.

Apart from that: systemd is not part of Linux per se., in the same way that the GNU utilities and the X11 windowing system are not part of Linux. As such any discussion of it is off-topic and irrelevant to the OP's question.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

petevick

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 11:04:00 am »
[I suggest that it is inappropriate for somebody with so little experience of this forum to express himself so strongly, and in particular to drag international events into the discussion: events which contravene international law and custom.

Apart from that: systemd is not part of Linux per se., in the same way that the GNU utilities and the X11 windowing system are not part of Linux. As such any discussion of it is off-topic and irrelevant to the OP's question.

MarkMLl
Gotta love the voice of reason  ;)
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Windows 10, Lazarus 3.2, FPC 3.2.2

friend

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 11:41:33 am »

I suggest that it is inappropriate for somebody with so little experience of this forum to express himself so strongly, and in particular to drag international events into the discussion: events which contravene international law and custom.

MarkMLl

Can't wait till I have a couple of thousand posts here to be able to express myself more boldly.  ;)
I just mentioned his avatar and signature -- not dragging the thing itself into the discussion, I simple made an observation about his manifest opinion on a subject and his comment on another; both spring forth from the same mental state.
You are right about it being off-topic and not related to the OP's question; so are half a dozen posts above mine including yours.
I believe Kays was being ironic in his post (since /etc/os-release is part of systemd's specification and is possibly not present in better distributions that do not use that dung).

440bx

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2022, 11:51:40 am »
...called the President of the Russian Federation a criminal in his signature. You seem to like talking about what you don't know.
I like precision and accuracy, therefore it is necessary to point out that calling a criminal, a criminal, is nothing other than an accurate description. Just like a square is called a square, an array is called an array and, unsurprisingly, a criminal is called a criminal.  What's not surprising is that criminals and, apparently their sympathizers, don't care for accurate descriptions.

Programmers should be accurate.

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Zvoni

Re: [Solved] Differentiate between various Linux distros
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 12:02:14 pm »
I remember using "Conky" on my Linux-Laptop, and there i'm able to pull out Distro, Kernel-Version, Desktop etc.
Would have to look at the source-code again, but i think Gus with "lsb_release" is close
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

MarkMLl

Re: [Solved] Differentiate between various Linux distros
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 01:16:42 pm »
I remember using "Conky" on my Linux-Laptop, and there i'm able to pull out Distro, Kernel-Version, Desktop etc.
Would have to look at the source-code again, but i think Gus with "lsb_release" is close

Mozilla Firefox can still get that, but you have to look Help -> More Troubleshooting Information... which gets a vast amount of info about libraries being used etc.

The worrying thing is that much of that stuff is also available to Google et al., because of the amount of unnecessary JavaScript that gets pulled into almost every webpage.

MarkMLl

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 01:28:55 pm »

This is not correct.

There is a hardcore crew that is angry about systemd.
Fake news? For sure. There is a very valid reason everybody is using systemd: it works better than the old alternatives.

Better... Not really. I had quite a lot more boot problems since ArchLinux changed to systemd than I had in the time with its original SysV init system. 

I believe Kays was being ironic in his post (since /etc/os-release is part of systemd's specification and is possibly not present in better distributions that do not use that dung).

While it was systemd that introduced the /etc/os-release and enforces its presence this does not mean that a distribution that provides /etc/os-release must indeed use systemd. See also here.

friend

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 01:33:00 pm »
I like precision and accuracy, therefore it is necessary to point out that calling a criminal, a criminal, is nothing other than an accurate description. Just like a square is called a square, an array is called an array and, unsurprisingly, a criminal is called a criminal.  What's not surprising is that criminals and, apparently their sympathizers, don't care for accurate descriptions.

Programmers should be accurate.

I agree with you about precision and accuracy friend, but, the real world is not zeroes and ones. Being accurate within a given limited set? Saying that dividing 1 by 2 is impossible because you've been only taught about integers. Having an opinion based on what the media says is stupidity. He might be right about some things.

Found this comment in Conky's source code, in a file called linux.cc under the project's src directory:

Code: C  [Select][+][-]
  1. /* I am assuming the distribution name is the first string in /proc/version
  2.     that:
  3.     - is preceded by a '('
  4.     - starts with a capital
  5.     - is followed by a space and a number
  6.     but i am not sure if this is always true... */

Not a certain way, but this seems to be better, for better distributions free from systemdung.

MarkMLl

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 01:42:01 pm »
Found this comment in Conky's source code, in a file called linux.cc under the project's src directory:

2.     that:

Not a certain way, but this seems to be better, for better distributions free from systemdung.

I don't think you can rely on that. That will come from something like CONFIG_LOCALVERSION in the kernel configuration, and if the local user rebuilds the kernel the distro name is likely to be lost even though everything on disc- plus udev configuration etc.- is still very much distro-defined.

MarkMLl

Zvoni

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2022, 02:03:15 pm »

2.     that:

Sorry, with "Source-code" i meant the Conky-configfile, not Conky itself.
In the config-files i use some CLI-commands grep/awk-ing for specific information.
That's why i said, Gus is close with his "lsb_release"
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

TinyPortal © 2005-2018