Recent

Author Topic: Compiler error messags vanished  (Read 6433 times)

daringly

Compiler error messags vanished
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:20:19 pm »
In the past, I ran fp.exe (the IDE). When I compiled, if there was an error, there would be an error message at the bottom of the window. I could select each error, read the explanation, and go to that part of the code.

Those messages are gone now -- the compiler tells me how many errors there were, but there is no longer an explanation.

How do I get those messages back?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:33:43 pm by daringly »

daringly

Re: Compiler error messags vanished after Windows 10 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:57:03 am »
I "solved" this problem by uninstalling Windows 10, which also solved a lot of other problems caused by the Windows 10 installation.

rvk

Re: Compiler error messags vanished after Windows 10 Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:52:56 am »
Not that it's of use for you now... but...
Maybe the "Compiler Messages"-window is behind the Editor-window. You can look at Window>List (or Alt+0) to see if the "Compiler Messages"-window is present. With Window>Cascade you can view them both (with the Editor-window above).

daringly

Re: Compiler error messages vanished
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 03:33:20 pm »
This problem is occurring again.

If I press Alt-0, I can see that compiler messages are in tile 1, and my source is in tile 2. Pressing alt-1 doesn't show the compiler errors though, and cascading the windows does not show the error messages either.

$0.01 for your thoughts.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Compiler error messags vanished
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 05:10:35 pm »
Since you refer to exe I suppose you are using windows. Since it worked in the past I assume you have upgraded to 10?
If these assumptions are correct, plz put the console in legacy mode and your problem goes away. There isn't a quick fix for that, it is documented on msdn and it is not just FP.EXE that suffers from it. MS did a completely new console. Putting it in legacy mode starts the old code.

This is a documented and *breaking* feature in Windows 10. That's why there is a legacy mode. I won't count on it to be fixed from the fpc side.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:17:44 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 05:59:16 pm »
It might also be that win10 simply reset the console window properties and the coordinates are now outside screen.

Removing ide configuration and reentering unit directory and help path might help too.

tarkadelphis

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »
I found I had to open a windows console:
then start a 3rd party console after that. I used  Greg's DOS shell (GS.EXE)
 - www.gammadyne.com/cmdline.htm (scoll down to find GS.EXE)
then I started the FP inside GS.exe and it works as expected now

daringly

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 02:44:05 pm »
Since you refer to exe I suppose you are using windows. Since it worked in the past I assume you have upgraded to 10?
If these assumptions are correct, plz put the console in legacy mode and your problem goes away. There isn't a quick fix for that, it is documented on msdn and it is not just FP.EXE that suffers from it. MS did a completely new console. Putting it in legacy mode starts the old code.

This is a documented and *breaking* feature in Windows 10. That's why there is a legacy mode. I won't count on it to be fixed from the fpc side.

Sadly, these problems are all in Windows 7.

malykhin-yuri

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 07:57:02 am »
What helped me: I made some errors in program (to make compiler fail).
Then pressed Alt+F9 to run compiler.
Then pressed Ctrl+F5 to move "compile errors" window.
And it showed up!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018