Forum > Windows (32/64)

installation warning

<< < (2/8) > >>

Martin_fr:
Well, I agree with the general statement "would be nice to have". And maybe also that some people who don't know the project would find it easier to trust the download. (Though to be honest, if I don't know who is behind the name on the certificate, I don't trust it any more as I would if it wasn't there)...

But the problem remains, it takes time and money. In this case the bigger issue actually is time. Someone needs to spend the time. I don't have it. Not sure if any one "eligible to do the task" has time (and interest for that matter).
"eligible" because I guess it should be someone known to (and trusted by) the project.

But well, if enough lobbying is done, maybe someone ...

systems:
Well, on the bugtracker, i was asked to unlock the file from the windows file properties
and it kinda works, I no longer get the warning, but its not really a solution

But now I see a second issue, the installer starts working without asking for an admin accounts
and raise a warning/error, when it tries to write DLLs, in C:\Windows\System32

I think this also need a fix, the installer need to ask for an admin privilege as soon as it starts

trev:
As for the DLL issue, I installed Lazarus 2.2.2 on a brand new Windows 11 VM and had no issues. Perhaps you already had copies of those DLLs and no overwrite access?

systems:
You probably had admin privileges, this is my work computer, so my normal user dont have admin privileges
most personal users wont notice this

trev:
Ah yes, being the only user on the Win11 system might explain it.

I'd be wary of using any of the supplied, or even the system, SSL DLLs anyway. The latest OpenSSL stable version is the 3.0 series which is supported until 7th September 2026. This is also a Long Term Support (LTS) version. The previous LTS version 1.1.1 is on life support until 11th September 2023 (at which point all support ceases) as OpenSSL moves to version 3 (now at 3.02) which has even more significant ABI changes. All older OpenSSL versions (including 1.1.0, 1.0.2, 1.0.0, 0.9.8 and 0.9.7) are now out of support, contain multiple security vulnerabilities and should not be used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version