Recent

Author Topic: Updating FPC/Laz  (Read 2131 times)

J-G

Updating FPC/Laz
« on: May 12, 2022, 03:07:14 pm »
I've been trying to install a newer version of FPC/Laz for the past few days (not 24/7 - but often enough!)

Having heard about FPCUPDeluxe in the past, that seemed the easiest option to instal the latest 'Stable' version (which I think is 3.2) but that proved quite the opposite :(   - - - -  over an hour and a half with a [Not Responding] message!

Looking back at previous posts attempting to persuade me that an update would be beneficial, WP suggested that FPCUPDeluxe wasn't really necessary particularly on Windows so I then searched for 'Free Pascal Installation' which eventually pointed me to a Sourceforge page where I could select [Lazarus Windows 64 bits] which led me to a list from 1.0.12  to 2.2 or what appears to be a [quick button] listing 'lasarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe' as the 'latest version'.

Needless to say I'm confused - - - 
IS the latest version of Lazarus (Stable)  3.2 ? 
Should I be presented with the option to download a 'win32.exe' version when I've selected the '64 bit' option?

Although I'm working under Windows 64 bit, I do want to create programs to run under 32 bit systems and may well (in future) want to compile for use under Linux, MacOS & even Android (Phone Apps). I presume that this means that I need to 'cross compile'. What extra steps will I need to take to enable such?

FPC 3.0.0 - Lazarus 1.6 &
FPC 3.2.2  - Lazarus 2.2.0 
Win 7 Ult 64

Zvoni

Re: Updating FPC/Laz
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 03:20:30 pm »
That FPCUpDeluxe is hanging sounds more like it cannot connect to some Sites to retrieve necessary tools for compiling.
Firewall?

That said:
Current stable FreePascalCompiler (FPC) is 3.2.2
Current Stable Lazarus IDE is 2.2.0
Meaning:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe is the setup for Lazarus 2.2.0 using FPC3.2.2 in 32-Bit for Windows

In Your case:
Download that one (even if you're on Win10 64-Bit), but also download the Cross-compiler for 64-Bit:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-cross-x86_64-win64-win32.exe
One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

J-G

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 04:13:01 pm »
That FPCUpDeluxe is hanging sounds more like it cannot connect to some Sites to retrieve necessary tools for compiling.
Firewall?
I've tried again with 'Avast' switched off  (just in case)  - - -  no change.
Quote from: Zvoni
That said:
Current stable FreePascalCompiler (FPC) is 3.2.2
Current Stable Lazarus IDE is 2.2.0
Meaning:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe is the setup for Lazarus 2.2.0 using FPC3.2.2 in 32-Bit for Windows

In Your case:
Download that one (even if you're on Win10 64-Bit), but also download the Cross-compiler for 64-Bit:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-cross-x86_64-win64-win32.exe
I'm actually on Win 7 but doubt that is of any consequence.

I have downloaded both but when I run [fpc-3.2.2.i386-win32.exe], after selecting:
not to uninstall the existing version
setting the installation loacation
[full installation]
Clearing 'Associate' files    (as suggested by WP)

I don't get an option to 'Create a secondary installation'  -  that is unless  'selecting not to uninstall the existing version'  is what WP means.

Neither do I see an option to select a 'config folder'

????  Still confused  ????
Win 7 Ult 64

dseligo

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 06:45:26 pm »
Having heard about FPCUPDeluxe in the past, that seemed the easiest option to instal the latest 'Stable' version (which I think is 3.2) but that proved quite the opposite :(   - - - -  over an hour and a half with a [Not Responding] message!

Which version of FPCUpDeluxe do you have?
I ask this because a while ago there was a switch from (I think) Sourceforge to Gitlab. Maybe you have older version which doesn't know about Gitlab.

so I then searched for 'Free Pascal Installation' which eventually pointed me to a Sourceforge page where I could select [Lazarus Windows 64 bits] which led me to a list from 1.0.12  to 2.2 or what appears to be a [quick button] listing 'lasarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe' as the 'latest version'.

Why do you search for installation? You go to Lazarus (https://www.lazarus-ide.org/)/Free pascal (https://www.freepascal.org/) main site and download it from there.

dseligo

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 06:46:50 pm »
I have downloaded both but when I run [fpc-3.2.2.i386-win32.exe], after selecting:
not to uninstall the existing version
setting the installation loacation
[full installation]
Clearing 'Associate' files    (as suggested by WP)

I don't get an option to 'Create a secondary installation'  -  that is unless  'selecting not to uninstall the existing version'  is what WP means.

I think 'secondary installation' relates to Lazarus, not FPC.

J-G

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 11:06:14 pm »
Thanks for that input @dseligo - I am further ahead though naturally not yet 'comfortable'  :)

The FPCUpDeluxe version I downloaded was from GitLab - it's V2.2.0h Build 428 6-1-22.

You will have enoticed that I confused the FPC & Lazerus Versions  -  I'm sure I'm not the first & doubt if I'll be the last to do so ::)

It seems that my previous attempt (after the -Deluxe problem) was just installing FPC which is why I couldn't see the 'Secondary Installation' box --- I have now downloaded the LAZARUS instalation package which I see includes FPC. After what seemed to be a normal installation taking account of the various suggestions, on first run I was presented with [Errors] - can't find Debugger etc.   -  Searching for  gdb.exe found it and I could complete that tab which moved me on to 'Can't find fppkg.cfg' and again searching for that discovered a copy in the folder associated with my previous (V1.6) installation - whether pointing the new version to that will affect my running V1.6 is yet to be determined  :(   The last 'problem' that it threw up asked for a file that I can no longer remember but allowed me to leave the entry [blank] so that a 'default' setting would be used.  Phew !!!  -   at long last I can open the IDE !!

Opening a project that I'd started (today) in V1.5 with only a few lines, a Panel & 4 'shapes'  was simple enough  -  though I'll no doubt have to spend some time working through the options to get the same look & feel that I've become accustomed to  -   but when I tried to compile it (it had compiled in V1.6)  I was presented with an [Enable Dwarf 2 (-aw)] message -  'project does not write debug info in Dwarf format' and the valid options which I have no idea what the difference between them is - or (more important) whether, due to the manual settings that I had to manage, my choice could affect the V1.6 installation!   

All these seemingly small issues are just the reason I've put off upgrading  %)

Win 7 Ult 64

wp

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 11:28:46 pm »
Your request is not fully clear in detail, but I assume that you want to make a secondary installation (= in addition to an already installation) of Lazarus v2.2 and FPC 3.2.2, and I assume that you are on Windows (Win 7 mentioned somewhere), and I also assume that your windows is 64 bit.
  • Download the installation package. The easiest way to find the link to the installer from here is via the left side bar on the current site under "Lazarus" > "Downloads (Laz+FPC)". This link brings you to a sourceforge site listing directories for all system environments supported. Click on "Lazarus Windows 64 bits" (you could also select "Lazarus Windows 32 bit" which would install a 32-bit version of Lazarus/FPC). On the next page you see all Lazarus versions ever published since 2013, the current version, as already said is v2.2.0 (the fpc version is not mentioned here because Lazarus releases are always bundled with the current fpc version at release date.). The next click shows you the downloadable file. The file that you need is lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win64. Download the file 
  • Start the installation by running the downloaded file.
    • Before the installer itself starts your are prompted for the language to be used during the installation - I think that's clear
    • On page "Select destination location" enter the directory where Lazarus will be installed. DO NOT INSTALL TO "C:\PROGRAM FILES" because you do not have write permission there. Instead use a writable folder. I have all installations in subfolders of c:\Lazarus, so let me propose this here too. And I have many installations, and therefore I add the version numbers to the folder names. So, I'd install to c:\lazarus\laz2.2.0_fpc3.2.2_win64.
    • On the page below that directory line you find "Create a secondary installation". Check this option since you want to leave your existing installation alone.
    • Click "Next" to go to page "Select configuration folder". Enter the name of the directory where Lazarus should store your configuration settings. One possible option is to put it into the installation folder: c:\lazarus\laz2.2.0_fpc3.2.2_win64\config
    • Next page is "Select components": Uncheck "Associate file extensions" if you still want the old installation to open laz/fpc files by a double click.
    • Page "Select start menu folder": I don't like the start menu, and therefore check "Don't create a start menu folder", but do what you want.
    • Page "Select additional tasks": Honestly I don't know, and never tested, what these "previous installs" in "Delete all user configuration files in previous installs" means, and therefore, I never check this because I do not want to alter any previous installation
    • The final page, "Ready to install", gives a summary of all selected options, and you can start the installation by clicking "Install".
    • Installation takes about 1 minute on my PC (on SSD) (much faster than FPCUpDeluxe).
  • When you start Lazarus.exe for the first time some checks are made and the user configuration files are written to the directory that you specified above, and you are prompted to confirm that everything is correct. I don't know why, but in the test that a ran for writing this post, the debugger was not found. Navigate to the gdb.exe in the mingw folder of the installation. Now the IDE should start.

When you use FPCUpDeluxe for installation of Laz-stable and fpc-stable you should select the "stable" entries in the FPC and Lazarus version lists. For installation click the length button "Install/update FPC+laz". FPCUpdeluxe does not use the standard installer, and therefore there is not "Create secondary installation" checkbox. To be precise, the installation by FPCUpDeluxe IS a secondary installation since it writes user configuration files to a non-standard directory, and since it does not register any file types in Windows.

J-G

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2022, 12:29:55 am »
Thanks WP - you have the patience of a saint! 
Your request is not fully clear in detail, but I assume that you want to make a secondary installation (= in addition to an already installation) of Lazarus v2.2 and FPC 3.2.2, and I assume that you are on Windows (Win 7 mentioned somewhere), and I also assume that your windows is 64 bit.
You are correct in all parts.

Quote from: wp
  • Download the installation package. [...] Download the file  [ DONE ]
  • Start the installation by running the downloaded file. [ DONE ]
  • Before the installer itself starts your are prompted for the language to be used during the installation - I think that's clear[ YES ]
  • On page "Select destination location" enter the directory where Lazarus will be installed.[...][ DONE ]
  • On the page below that directory line you find "Create a secondary installation". Check this option since you want to leave your existing installation alone.[ DONE ]
  • Click "Next" to go to page "Select configuration folder". Enter the name of the directory where Lazarus should store your configuration settings. [DONE ] [...]
  • Next page is "Select components": Uncheck "Associate file extensions" [ DONE ][...]
  • Page "Select start menu folder": I don't like the start menu, and therefore check "Don't create a start menu folder", but do what you want. [ can't recall what I selected ]
  • Page "Select additional tasks": Honestly I don't know, and never tested, what these "previous installs" in "Delete all user configuration files in previous installs" means, and therefore, I never check this because I do not want to alter any previous installation [ again - can't recall ]
  • The final page, "Ready to install", gives a summary of all selected options, and you can start the installation by clicking "Install". [ DONE ]
  • Installation takes about 1 minute on my PC (on SSD) (much faster than FPCUpDeluxe). [ Took about 2 minutes to a Hard Drive partion as 'Q' ]

When you start Lazarus.exe for the first time some checks are made and the user configuration files are written to the directory that you specified above, and you are prompted to confirm that everything is correct. I don't know why, but in the test that I ran for writing this post, the debugger was not found. Navigate to the gdb.exe in the mingw folder of the installation. [ That is good to know ! but it also wanted me to find fppkg.cfg  ? ] Now the IDE should start. [ It did ]

When you use FPCUpDeluxe [...] [ not relevant to the current discussion ]

The fppkg.cfg file I found was relevant to my original (only previous) 2016 installation of FPC which is what concened me.

The real question was/is why is it asking about 'Dwarf', and which option should I select?

Options are [Enable Dwarf with sets] - [Enable Dwarf 2 (-gw)] - [Enable Dwarf 3 (-gw3)]

There is no explanation as to the pros & cons of each.

There will no doubt be more questions  :D  -  most likely about 'Cross Compiling' - but this is the most pressing.
Win 7 Ult 64

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 09:23:21 am »
I ask this because a while ago there was a switch from (I think) Sourceforge to Gitlab. Maybe you have older version which doesn't know about Gitlab.

We switched from self-hosted SVN to GitLab. SourceForge only ever held the binary releases and still does.

The real question was/is why is it asking about 'Dwarf', and which option should I select?

Options are [Enable Dwarf with sets] - [Enable Dwarf 2 (-gw)] - [Enable Dwarf 3 (-gw3)]

There is no explanation as to the pros & cons of each.

See here.

J-G

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 11:02:09 am »
Thanks PascalDragon,

I've selected  [Enable Dwarf with sets]  for now - I presume that there is a way to change this should it become necesary but I consider that a 'need to know' - I have more important issues to address for the moment :)   which I'll raise in a new thread back on the [General] forum.

Win 7 Ult 64

wp

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 11:17:31 am »
You did not say when you were prompted for the Dwarf version. Probably when you compiled your project? In this case, the debugger settings those in the project options: go to "Project" > "Project Options..." > "Compiler Options" > "Debugging" and change the "Type of debug info" as needed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018