Forum > Windows (32/64)

Updating FPC/Laz

(1/3) > >>

J-G:
I've been trying to install a newer version of FPC/Laz for the past few days (not 24/7 - but often enough!)

Having heard about FPCUPDeluxe in the past, that seemed the easiest option to instal the latest 'Stable' version (which I think is 3.2) but that proved quite the opposite :(   - - - -  over an hour and a half with a [Not Responding] message!

Looking back at previous posts attempting to persuade me that an update would be beneficial, WP suggested that FPCUPDeluxe wasn't really necessary particularly on Windows so I then searched for 'Free Pascal Installation' which eventually pointed me to a Sourceforge page where I could select [Lazarus Windows 64 bits] which led me to a list from 1.0.12  to 2.2 or what appears to be a [quick button] listing 'lasarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe' as the 'latest version'.

Needless to say I'm confused - - - 
IS the latest version of Lazarus (Stable)  3.2 ? 
Should I be presented with the option to download a 'win32.exe' version when I've selected the '64 bit' option?

Although I'm working under Windows 64 bit, I do want to create programs to run under 32 bit systems and may well (in future) want to compile for use under Linux, MacOS & even Android (Phone Apps). I presume that this means that I need to 'cross compile'. What extra steps will I need to take to enable such?

Zvoni:
That FPCUpDeluxe is hanging sounds more like it cannot connect to some Sites to retrieve necessary tools for compiling.
Firewall?

That said:
Current stable FreePascalCompiler (FPC) is 3.2.2
Current Stable Lazarus IDE is 2.2.0
Meaning:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe is the setup for Lazarus 2.2.0 using FPC3.2.2 in 32-Bit for Windows

In Your case:
Download that one (even if you're on Win10 64-Bit), but also download the Cross-compiler for 64-Bit:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-cross-x86_64-win64-win32.exe

J-G:

--- Quote from: Zvoni on May 12, 2022, 03:20:30 pm ---That FPCUpDeluxe is hanging sounds more like it cannot connect to some Sites to retrieve necessary tools for compiling.
Firewall?
--- End quote ---
I've tried again with 'Avast' switched off  (just in case)  - - -  no change.

--- Quote from: Zvoni ---That said:
Current stable FreePascalCompiler (FPC) is 3.2.2
Current Stable Lazarus IDE is 2.2.0
Meaning:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe is the setup for Lazarus 2.2.0 using FPC3.2.2 in 32-Bit for Windows

In Your case:
Download that one (even if you're on Win10 64-Bit), but also download the Cross-compiler for 64-Bit:
lazarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-cross-x86_64-win64-win32.exe
--- End quote ---
I'm actually on Win 7 but doubt that is of any consequence.

I have downloaded both but when I run [fpc-3.2.2.i386-win32.exe], after selecting:
not to uninstall the existing version
setting the installation loacation
[full installation]
Clearing 'Associate' files    (as suggested by WP)

I don't get an option to 'Create a secondary installation'  -  that is unless  'selecting not to uninstall the existing version'  is what WP means.

Neither do I see an option to select a 'config folder'

????  Still confused  ????

dseligo:

--- Quote from: J-G on May 12, 2022, 03:07:14 pm ---Having heard about FPCUPDeluxe in the past, that seemed the easiest option to instal the latest 'Stable' version (which I think is 3.2) but that proved quite the opposite :(   - - - -  over an hour and a half with a [Not Responding] message!

--- End quote ---

Which version of FPCUpDeluxe do you have?
I ask this because a while ago there was a switch from (I think) Sourceforge to Gitlab. Maybe you have older version which doesn't know about Gitlab.

--- Quote from: J-G on May 12, 2022, 03:07:14 pm ---so I then searched for 'Free Pascal Installation' which eventually pointed me to a Sourceforge page where I could select [Lazarus Windows 64 bits] which led me to a list from 1.0.12  to 2.2 or what appears to be a [quick button] listing 'lasarus-2.2.0-fpc-3.2.2-win32.exe' as the 'latest version'.

--- End quote ---

Why do you search for installation? You go to Lazarus (https://www.lazarus-ide.org/)/Free pascal (https://www.freepascal.org/) main site and download it from there.

dseligo:

--- Quote from: J-G on May 12, 2022, 04:13:01 pm ---I have downloaded both but when I run [fpc-3.2.2.i386-win32.exe], after selecting:
not to uninstall the existing version
setting the installation loacation
[full installation]
Clearing 'Associate' files    (as suggested by WP)

I don't get an option to 'Create a secondary installation'  -  that is unless  'selecting not to uninstall the existing version'  is what WP means.

--- End quote ---

I think 'secondary installation' relates to Lazarus, not FPC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version