Recent

Author Topic: Error during install of fpc-3.2.2.i386-linux  (Read 3496 times)

Steven Pietrobon

Re: Error during install of fpc-3.2.2.i386-linux
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2022, 03:33:58 am »
Thanks again for your replies. I use Xilinx Foundation software. I tried to run this in 32-bit Windows 7 but it didn't work. Running it in an XP emulator does work, but it is too slow. When Xilinx updated their software to ISE, there was no path provided to update all my schematic designs to the new version. So here I am, stuck with XP! I have a firewall installed, which has so far kept me safe from hackers.

I was surprised to learn that you could run 16-bit programs in 32-bit Windows 10, as that was the problem I was having with getting Foundation to work in Windows 7.  I've now learnt that for Windows 7, you can enable 16-bit programs!

https://techtrix.co/can-windows-7-32-bit-run-16-bit-programs/

The reason for using Cygwin was that it was convenient to extract the Linux binaries. I thought it might be possible to also run my Linux compilations there, but that turned out not to be the case. A long time ago, I was able to compile my Pascal programs in Cygwin, but it seems when I upgraded to 3.0.4 that was no longer possible.

I think the path forward for me is to reinstall Windows 7 on a new hard drive, enable 16-bit mode and then try running Foundation again. If that works, I can migrate all my data and programs to Windows 7 and avoid all the problems with XP.

As to cross compiling my code for Linux, my current setup with 3.0.4 seems to work. It turns out that the person that was having problems with my Linux software was trying to run it on MacOS! The binaries for this system are at

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Mac%20OS%20X/3.0.4/

My question is now, how do I extract the MacOS binaries and where do I find the cross-compiler?

Thanks again for all your help!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 03:44:46 am by Steven Pietrobon »

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2022, 04:10:08 am »
My question is now, how do I extract the MacOS binaries and where do I find the cross-compiler?

I suspect that is a much harder problem. I personally have an old (Sierra) Mac where I compile my app. I 'think' some people run MacOS in a Virtual Box VM but I really don't know and my (lack of) knowledge of MacOS convinced me it was not an approach that would work for me. Both technical and legal issues as I understand it.

Davo
Lazarus 3, Linux (and reluctantly Win10/11, OSX Monterey)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

MarkMLl

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 08:13:41 am »
Thanks again for your replies. I use Xilinx Foundation software.

Roughly translated: FPGA development stuff, parent is now AMD. Long-term support of this sort of thing has long been problematic.

The reason for using Cygwin was that it was convenient to extract the Linux binaries. I thought it might be possible to also run my Linux compilations there, but that turned out not to be the case. A long time ago, I was able to compile my Pascal programs in Cygwin, but it seems when I upgraded to 3.0.4 that was no longer possible.

Did you raise that in this forum or on the ML? I'm sure that at that point somebody would have cautioned you that you were heading off on the wrong track.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 10:24:16 am »

The Wiki article Cross compiling macOS on Linux indicates that it is not possible after Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)  due to there being no viable linker tools. The edit for this info is dated September 2019. It is possible that the situation has changed in the intervening period, but I wouldn't bank on it.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2022, 10:31:13 am »
Thanks again for your replies. I use Xilinx Foundation software.

Roughly translated: FPGA development stuff, parent is now AMD. Long-term support of this sort of thing has long been problematic.

Yeah, I run the successor ISE in a VIrtual box which runs an ancient Fedora Core. Worse, that is apparently the recommended way.

MarkMLl

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 11:35:28 am »
Yeah, I run the successor ISE in a VIrtual box which runs an ancient Fedora Core. Worse, that is apparently the recommended way.

I've not used that, but I did spend a bit of time with Intel (nee Altera) Quartus and found I had to jump through hoops to keep it running. Same applied to the low-cost "Tang Nano" FPGA stuff (but I must say that for the cost I rather liked what I saw).

Unfortunately, FPGA vendors still appear to insist on funding their development tools from their software sales revenue, rather than ploughing part of hardware revenue into them. Since the first casualty is maintenance to make sure the software runs on newer OSes etc., this approach lets down a lot of people at the "dipping toes in water" stage, and however strong the argument that software used for production purposes needn't be free I can sympathise with the people investing substantial effort into writing open-source tools to support- notably- Lattice hardware.

MarkMLl

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 01:22:02 pm »

Then you must have used some really ancient FPC, cause Cygwin isn't supported for a very long time already (15 years or more).

You simply need to download the sources for the FPC version you need and then build a cross compiler there. Then you need suitable cross binutils to link Linux binaries on Windows and the necessary libraries from the target system.

You can also try whether FPCUpDeluxe helps you there (don't know if it still works on XP).

Steven Pietrobon

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2022, 08:25:23 am »
Did you raise that in this forum or on the ML?

I didn't previously raise the Cygwin issue in this forum. I don't know what ML is.

To clarify, I need a cross-compiler so that I can generate MacOS binaries in Windows 32-bit. How can that be done? I don't have a MacOS machine. The cross-compiler for Linux is in binutils-2.15-win32-i386-linux.zip. Is there something similar for win32-i386-macos?

Steven Pietrobon

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2022, 08:35:24 am »

I run ISE (9.1 and 14.4) in both 32-bit Windows XP and 64-bit Windows 8.1, using an Intel i7-3770 CPU.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2022, 08:58:02 am »
I didn't previously raise the Cygwin issue in this forum. I don't know what ML is.

Mailing List.

To clarify, I need a cross-compiler so that I can generate MacOS binaries in Windows 32-bit. How can that be done? I don't have a MacOS machine. The cross-compiler for Linux is in binutils-2.15-win32-i386-linux.zip. Is there something similar for win32-i386-macos?

The binutils are not the cross compiler. They are assembler and linker (and some other utilities) used by the compiler. The cross compiler itself is solely provided by compiling FPC with the suitable options, however you need the correct binutils to generate the final binaries.
But as trev wrote, cross compiling to macOS (small m!) seems no longer possible due to missing, suitable binutils (in general, not only for FPC). So you either need an Apple system (or a friend with one) or you need to setup a virtual machine. And you need to keep in mind that nowadays you need to compile for two platforms for Apple systems: x86_64 and Aarch64.

Steven Pietrobon

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 04:10:48 am »
Thanks for your reply PascalDragon. I was hoping for an easy solution (like with cross-compiling from Windows to Linux), but that doesn't seem to be the case with with cross-compiling from Windows to macOS.

By the way, I did the drawings for my PhD thesis on an Apple Macintosh (capital M!) back in the late 1980s. Hard to imagine that a computer running on a 7.8 MHz 68000 could do anything useful!

DonAlfredo

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2022, 08:14:37 am »
I was hoping for an easy solution (like with cross-compiling from Windows to Linux), but that doesn't seem to be the case with with cross-compiling from Windows to macOS.
You might try fpcupdeluxe. Its an installer for FPC and Lazarus and makes installing a cross-compiler for macOS as easy as a single click.

MarkMLl

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2022, 12:34:53 pm »
By the way, I did the drawings for my PhD thesis on an Apple Macintosh (capital M!) back in the late 1980s. Hard to imagine that a computer running on a 7.8 MHz 68000 could do anything useful!

I did much of the typing for my MPhil on an 8085-based Redactron and finished it off on a 5MHz V20. I did my BSc on a hired typewriter.

The interesting thing is that while a modern computer has no problem with cycle-accurate emulation of an 8085 or V20, simulating the motion of all the bits in the mechanical typewriter in real-time is probably pushing the state of the art :-)

MarkMLl

Steven Pietrobon

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2022, 04:21:02 am »
You might try fpcupdeluxe. Its an installer for FPC and Lazarus and makes installing a cross-compiler for macOS as easy as a single click.

I've downloaded fpcupdeluxe-i386-win32.exe but I'm not sure what to do next. macOS is not listed in Cross -> OS.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018