Forum > Linux

Error during install of fpc-3.2.2.i386-linux

(1/6) > >>

Steven Pietrobon:
I get the following error when I try to install fpc-3.2.2.i386-linux in Windows cygwin:

$ ./install.sh
This shell script will attempt to install the Free Pascal Compiler
version 3.2.2 with the items you select

./install.sh: eval: line 154: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./install.sh: eval: line 154: `set /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intel/iCLS Client:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine Components/DAL:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Intel/Intel(R) Management Engine Components/IPT:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/ATI Technologies/ATI.ACE/Core-Static:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GnuPG:/cygdrive/c/Xilinx/bin/nt:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/gnuplot/bin:/cygdrive/d/Steven/Bin:/cygdrive/c/FPC/3.2.2/bin/i386-Win32:/cygdrive/c/altera/11.1sp2/modelsim_ase/win32aloem:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/GPAC:/cygdrive/d/Misc/Programs/mtn-200808a-win32:/usr/openwin/bin'
Install prefix (/usr or /usr/local)  [/usr/local] :

I think the problem might be the "(" symbol in my Windows path. Is there any way to fix this problem?

dbannon:
Steven, that seems a very convoluted way to install FPC, is there not a native Windows 32bit package available ?

Then you would not need the cygwin approach at all.

Davo

Zvoni:
What also doesn't make sense:
He's trying to install the 32-Bit Version for Linux (note the "i386")
From https://www.cygwin.com/

--- Quote ---32 bit Cygwin

Address space is a very limiting factor for Cygwin. These days, a full 32 bit Cygwin distro is not feasible anymore, and will in all likelihood fail in random places due to an issue with the fork(2) system call.

Therefore we recommend using 32 bit Cygwin only in limited scenarios, with only a minimum of necessary packages installed, and only if there's no way to run 64 bit Cygwin instead.

You have been warned. If you're still sure you really need a 32 bit Cygwin, and there's absolutely no way around it, you may run the setup-x86.exe installer. The signature can be used to verify the validity of this binary.

--- End quote ---

There are still people using cygwin?
Use VirtualBox, install your preferred Linux-Distro, and be done with it

Or remove Windows all together, and move to Linux (which would be the sensible thing to do)

rvk:

--- Quote from: Zvoni on May 06, 2022, 02:06:08 pm ---There are still people using cygwin?
Use VirtualBox, install your preferred Linux-Distro, and be done with it
Or remove Windows all together, and move to Linux (which would be the sensible thing to do)

--- End quote ---
Or use bash inside WSL2 on Windows.

(For FPC is works fine)

marcov:
Can cygwin run linux binaries at all ?

Afaik it is an Unix-like environment to compile in, but that doesn't mean the binaries are compatible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version