Forum > Linux

Lazarus can't find exeutable! Linux ubuntu...[SOLVED]

<< < (3/3)

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on April 26, 2022, 03:57:53 pm ---I think that the current obsession with containerisation is an unhealthy admission that unix- like Windows etc.- is susceptible to "DLL Hell".
--- End quote ---

In my opinion that containerisation introduces more “DLL hell” than exists in typical Linux systems by default (for example if one only installs packages from the package manager that should be rather well contained), because one needs to check that all such app containers are updated when a bug in a library is found...

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: PascalDragon on April 27, 2022, 09:04:42 am ---In my opinion that containerisation introduces more “DLL hell” than exists in typical Linux systems by default (for example if one only installs packages from the package manager that should be rather well contained), because one needs to check that all such app containers are updated when a bug in a library is found...

--- End quote ---

...where for security reasons the code running in the context of a container might not be able to contact external repositories.

One of the more laughable examples was when a defence contractor wrote a training simulator for an armoured vehicle, and /boasted/ that for robustness the output of the twelve teams involved was running in twelve separate VMs so that they didn't have to bother about using the same library versions etc.

MarkMLl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version