Forum > Other OS

Atari m68k

(1/6) > >>

peters060:
Hi all,

I just thought I would introduce myself and take the opportunity to thank the fpc developers especially ChainQ and Thorsten who put a lot of effort into getting fpc working on Atari tos and mint.

I've been long term Pascal "fan" but never had great opportunity to use it in my job. I started dabbling again with Atari PurePascal in 2020 and then, last year, discovered fpc.

I tried porting the app I was working on and was able to get it running. My next aim was to use some fpc libraries.  Unfortunately, atari fpc doesn't find source files with long filenames, it only works with 8+3 even when it is installed on a suitable partition.  This means that any existing fpc apps cantor cannot be easily ported and fpc can't build itself.

Maybe this could be added to feature request (wish list) ?

marcov:
Wishing is all good and dandy, but how do you expect this would work without renaming all sources to whatever limited convention atari supports?

Actually we kept 8.3 till 2015 because of plain dos, but it was untenable to keep such limits forever on all targets.

MarkMLl:

--- Quote from: marcov on April 17, 2022, 01:31:37 pm ---Actually we kept 8.3 till 2015 because of plain dos, but it was untenable to keep such limits forever on all targets.

--- End quote ---

What version was that? If OP specifically wants to compile natively it would be worth his while investigating what's changed since both in the core libraries and extra packages.

MarkMLl

marcov:

--- Quote from: MarkMLl on April 17, 2022, 01:38:23 pm ---
--- Quote from: marcov on April 17, 2022, 01:31:37 pm ---Actually we kept 8.3 till 2015 because of plain dos, but it was untenable to keep such limits forever on all targets.

--- End quote ---

What version was that? If OP specifically wants to compile natively it would be worth his while investigating what's changed since both in the core libraries and extra packages.

--- End quote ---

3.0.0, together with win9x support; but those don't support m68k/Atari. But even those older versions had little kinks due to limited plain dos testing.

I think the first step would be to find out what Atari community has to offer for such problems, that are not unique to Free Pascal(e.g. dos worked on a doslfn driver for a while).

Otherwise you are limited to using the filesystems that can or cross compile. (and since recompiling FPC takes 8 minutes on a RPI4, I shudder how long it does on Amiga. Even a small twenty years ago, with FPC 1.0.x on Mac 840AV (the heaviest retail m68k machine from  Apple with a factory overclocked 68040/40 + 128MB of RAM, more than oldies typically have) it iirc took 35 minutes.

added later: or maybe I misunderstand and there is a way to do lfn support, and must it be added to the RTL

peters060:
Atari MINT os supports long filenames on FAT32 and ext2 so in theory I don't need to rename anything.

However when compiling with fpc it fails to find the lib files.  When I renamed them to 8+3 then they are found.

I suspect it's an issue in how fpc is getting the files but I don't know enough about how this works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version