Recent

Author Topic: I'm interested in lazarus for IPhone  (Read 2238 times)

Michael Collier

I'm interested in lazarus for IPhone
« on: March 28, 2022, 10:21:19 pm »
I'm interested in lazarus for IPhone, but this forum seems very quiet.

I've tried Lazarus for Android recently and wondered if there was anything similar for IPhone?

From what I can understand,

1) lazarus doesn't do the visual stuff, like being able to design forms and add buttons etc? Is that correct?

2) Lazarus is able to compile the non-visual side of things into .so file library, which can be used from my Mac XCode development tools? Is that correct?

3) I have just installed fpcupdelux onto an amd64 ubuntu machine, is it possible to use that to configure a lazarus environment to cross compile for IPhone, to have a play.

4) A bit more risky for me, I have my Apple Mac that I have XCode13 installed on, I'm guessing I can install lazarus on that too, but I'm guessing I risk breaking my XCode development by trying that, or am I just being paranoid.?

5) I notice there is also a forum for MacOS - is there much overlap between MacOS and iOS in terms of compiling a .so file? Would I be better of using that forum instead of this one?

Thanks,
Mike

Jonas Maebe

Re: I'm interested in lazarus for IPhone
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 10:48:26 pm »
I'm interested in lazarus for IPhone, but this forum seems very quiet.

I've tried Lazarus for Android recently and wondered if there was anything similar for IPhone?
Not that I'm aware of.

From what I can understand,

1) lazarus doesn't do the visual stuff, like being able to design forms and add buttons etc? Is that correct?
Correct.

2) Lazarus is able to compile the non-visual side of things into .so file library, which can be used from my Mac XCode development tools? Is that correct?
On macOS the extension of dynamic libraries is .dylib, but other than that it is correct.

3) I have just installed fpcupdelux onto an amd64 ubuntu machine, is it possible to use that to configure a lazarus environment to cross compile for IPhone, to have a play.
Theoretically yes, but it is hard because you need all of Apple's development and codesigning tools as well.

4) A bit more risky for me, I have my Apple Mac that I have XCode13 installed on, I'm guessing I can install lazarus on that too, but I'm guessing I risk breaking my XCode development by trying that, or am I just being paranoid.?
Lazarus nor FPC affects your Xcode installation in any way.

5) I notice there is also a forum for MacOS - is there much overlap between MacOS and iOS in terms of compiling a .so file? Would I be better of using that forum instead of this one?
More people are indeed developing for macOS than for iOS. Creating a dynamic library for both targets is the same.

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 12:43:17 am »

I have added a lot of information and code examples for macOS to the Wiki's Mac Portal over the last three years. You might be interested in the article I wrote on macOS Dynamic Libraries. As Jonas said, there's a significant overlap between macOS and iOS.

There's also the Wiki's iOS Portal but it's not had much love from anyone in a while. However, there may be some useful information there.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 09:56:00 am »
The following articles from the iOS portal linked by trev might be the most relevant though you might have to take them with a grain of salt and check yourself what might have changed since they were written:

TinyPortal © 2005-2018