Recent

Author Topic: Databases that work with wince  (Read 6672 times)

jimmer

Databases that work with wince
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:28:31 pm »
Has anyone had any luck getting databases to work on wince.

I have tried:

TMemedataset
Tsdfdataset
and Tdbf.

All compile fine and run ok in win32 but give the error "bus error or misaligned data access" when trying to add data to the database on the cross compiled version.

I did find some info here:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Windows_CE_Development_Notes

on the general error but couldn't see what, if anything could be done to stop the error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Zaher

• parmaja.org
RE: Databases that work with wince
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:47:14 pm »
I used sqlite for wince and work fine with me

jimmer

binary sqlite3.dll or sqlite.dll
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:24:35 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. Once again have got the database to work fine on win32 machine but I cannot get to work on wince. I think this is because i do not have the correct slqite3.dll for wince

Did you download this or compile from the source?

Thanks

Zaher

• parmaja.org
RE: binary sqlite3.dll or sqlite.dll
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 03:16:32 pm »
I used this sqlite_wince_3.5.6.zip
http://www.ap-i.net/pub/sqlite/

CC

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:03 am »
jimmer,

I have searched for a good db engine which has WinCe port too. Have found none good enough. SQLite was the closest thing. However the situation may have changed. The people behind DBISAM have made a new SQL engine, called ElevateDB, which is really promising, and has already been ported for Lazarus. (Win32 and  WinCe at he moment, but Linux is promised too). It is a commercial product, but with a very reasonable price tag, and  with functionalty, which I beleive is well worth the price.  It  offers  many SQL 2003 features plus data replication,  script debugger for strored procedures, inmemory databases, table versioning....  It was written intirely in object pascal, the source is available, so you can embed it to the applications or build costumized servers. Supports encryption too.

It has excellent support. I am in the midst of evaluating ElevateDB, and got quick detailed answers  to my  every question.   It's features seem to be  developed  rapidly. My only concern is that transaction handling may currently not be good enough  for high concurreny situations, but I have not stress tested it yet. I would probably also like to see at least a SQLite like journaling to avoid the need of flushing all changes to  the disk right away, which may cause performance drop. Need to test that too, if it really is an issue, not sure yet.      

Lazarus is a free software, which is good, but I would pay for it just to get the chance to  develop crossplatform in a Delphi like style. I believe it is important for the future of Lazarus to attract the developers of quality commercial components to port their work for Lazarus. And it is already happening.  The big question is if the Lazarus community is willing to realize how valuable  it is to have the wealth of quality commercial components for Lazarus we already have for Delphi. Are they willing to pay for it? I certainly hope they see that it is for the benifit of everyone. It could open the way to port a lot of Widows only Delphi projects for different platforms. Many times a suitable 3rd party component can save lots of time and money, so it is more efficient to spend the money on buying a good 3rd party product.

So, in case you want to take a look: http://www.elevatesoft.com

To tell the truth, I would benifit from other people's testing EDB too. It is a new product for Lazarus, it would make my final decision easier/faster if it is really a good direction for my development.

Regards,
Leslie

tatamata

• ZMSQL - SQL enhanced in-memory database
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 11:48:05 am »
Leslie, you are absolutely right!
And, I hope that NexusDb will be ported to Lazarus too, in foreseenable future, as promissed by the NexusDB team...

jimmer

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 02:05:59 pm »
Zaher,

Thanks for the link. The actual database functions seem to be working fine now. However I am gettng a similar error message when trying to work with an xml file (http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/XML_Tutorial).

I think this may be a known bug - http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=12079.

Any thoughts?

Leslie,

Thank-you for the extensive reply. However this is only a hobby for me so I don't really want to spend any money and also the simpler the better!

alepio

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:31:16 pm »
Hi I'm an new User.
I wanna use a sqlite fon WinCE.
Who send me an example for insert the DLL in the project, and an simple query like 'select * from TABLE' ?
I don't find it. I use Lazarus the last version.
TKS.
Alessandro

TinyPortal © 2005-2018