Recent

Author Topic: Anyone wants to share an interesting/cool embedded Pascal project?  (Read 3584 times)

ccrause

The list of simple but interesting Arduino based projects are near infinite.  Where are the cool embedded Pascal projects hiding?

Please feel free to share!

MarkMLl

Re: Anyone wants to share an interesting/cool embedded Pascal project?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 09:31:58 pm »
I think that the real problem is that the value of the Arduino infrastructure is the libraries it's accumulated, which generally speaking assume C++ calling conventions and name mnagling.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 10:19:37 pm »
See the Wiki: AVR Embedded Tutorials.

ccrause

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 10:30:32 pm »
@Mark, yes the Arduino library ecosystem is very handy, but a lot of things like flashing an LED, reading a pin, using timers and so forth is easy enough to code from scratch in Pascal. This should be enough to tackle simple projects.

ccrause

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 10:44:44 pm »
See the Wiki: AVR Embedded Tutorials.
The tutorial section is a good reference, but not what I think will inspire people to tackle some embedded idea in Pascal. I'm hoping to see projects like a line following robot or drone control firmware, written in Pascal...

MarkMLl

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 09:36:37 am »
@Mark, yes the Arduino library ecosystem is very handy, but a lot of things like flashing an LED, reading a pin, using timers and so forth is easy enough to code from scratch in Pascal. This should be enough to tackle simple projects.

Agreed. That's /particularly/ the case when one follows through the code to read or change the state of a bit: Arduino (and others that I've looked at) try to make this general but the result is a sequence of complex function calls that the compiler can't optimise... the collective developers appear either unconcerned or unaware.

But unfortunately, no matter how we loathe them, some things we're stuck with :-(

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/new_pet.png

MarkMLl

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 11:39:36 am »
I think that the real problem is that the value of the Arduino infrastructure is the libraries it's accumulated, which generally speaking assume C++ calling conventions and name mnagling.

Which is not necessarily a problem. ;)

MarkMLl

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 11:55:36 am »

So to what extent can interaction between FPC and C++ be promoted? The risk is that problems would cause vexation to both the FPC and embedded communities: and as a minor player FPC can't IMO afford to be vexatious.

MarkMLl

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 12:02:24 pm »

So to what extent can interaction between FPC and C++ be promoted? The risk is that problems would cause vexation to both the FPC and embedded communities: and as a minor player FPC can't IMO afford to be vexatious.

cppclass doesn't handle all types yet (e.g. signed char), so declarations might fail because the wrong mangled name is generated, and there's no way to deal with operator overloads (if any) yet. So right now I'd advertise it as “experimental” at most.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018