Recent

Author Topic: Running and stuttering Cheetah on documentation pages  (Read 2581 times)

Brunob

Running and stuttering Cheetah on documentation pages
« on: February 25, 2022, 01:48:32 am »
Hi, I'm new to Lazarus and FPC and I spend a lot of time learning from the documentation available on this site.
However, I find it extremely irritating when concentrating on a topic, to have that stuttering/running cheetah logo in the left top corner.
Am I the only one??

Kays

• Whasup!?
    • KaiBurghardt.de
Re: Running and stuttering Cheetah on documentation pages
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 11:32:58 am »
[…] Am I the only one??
No, you’re not. In the graphical browsers I use, I have blocked the graphic via some plugin a long time ago. Note, the logo of the wiki is different if you’re accessing https://Wiki.FreePascal.org/ via https://Wiki.Lazarus.FreePascal.org/
Yours Sincerely
Kai Burghardt

MarkMLl

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 01:11:00 pm »
Hi, I'm new to Lazarus and FPC and I spend a lot of time learning from the documentation available on this site.
However, I find it extremely irritating when concentrating on a topic, to have that stuttering/running cheetah logo in the left top corner.
Am I the only one??

No, you definitely aren't. Welcome to the community of people who don't like excess thrust upon us: which is why we use Lazarus/FPC rather than Visual BASIC or Java.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

jex

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 02:58:08 pm »
If you're using some content blocker browser extension (e.g. uBlock Origin, Adguard, etc.) you may block it by right clicking on the element and block.
Or add this to custom filter rules:
Code: [Select]
||wiki.freepascal.org/skins/pic/logo.gif?73a46

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 01:33:32 am »
My SeaMonkey (nee Netscape Communicator and then Mozilla Suite) allows me to set "Animated images should loop" (1) as many times as the image specifies (2) once (3) never. I have it set to once, so I've never been annoyed  :-)

I'm not sure about other browsers as I've used SeaMonkey for web browsing and as an email client almost exclusively since 1994.

MarkMLl

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 09:00:14 am »
My SeaMonkey (nee Netscape Communicator and then Mozilla Suite) allows me to set "Animated images should loop" (1) as many times as the image specifies (2) once (3) never. I have it set to once, so I've never been annoyed  :-)

I'm not sure about other browsers as I've used SeaMonkey for web browsing and as an email client almost exclusively since 1994.

I've used SeaMonkey (AKA IceApe, nee Mozilla Suite nee Netscape Communicator) a lot in the past, but mainstream Firefox no longer has that menu entry.

Fiddling and Googling, the corresponding setting in about:config is image.animation_mode, which takes the values "normal", "once" or "none", but I suspect that it might also interfere in some way with completion of the page-load operation (the animation on the tab might take much longer than normal to settle down).

Regrettably, we live in an era where using about:config is quite simply beyond most people. Now obviously it's not beyond me, but the browser profile I use for simple documentation etc. already has as much scripting as possible disabled, and it's irritating to find a 90's style animation intruding.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

loaded

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 09:55:55 am »
You can run the following Javascript code in the console and close the relevant view.
If you want, I can write this for you as a Chrome extension and automate things.

Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. const elements = document.getElementsByClassName("mw-wiki-logo");
  2. while(elements.length > 0){
  3.         elements[0].parentNode.removeChild(elements[0]);
  4.     }

Or you can create your own browser with CEF3 or CEF4Delphi and run this code automatically.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:58:41 am by loaded »
Check out  loaded on Strava
https://www.strava.com/athletes/109391137

TinyPortal © 2005-2018