Recent

Author Topic: Beginner level question: Why fpWeb?  (Read 2337 times)

senglit

Beginner level question: Why fpWeb?
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:40:01 am »
Hi all,

I got a beginner level question: why should I use fpWeb instead of those web frameworks such as jave, nodejs, php, python/Django...

I have some experence with python/django. Now I'm consiedering jumping into fpweb because I'm much more familiar with lazarus than python. But I'm not sure is it a good idea. So I'm here to ask for your suggestions. It will be very nice of you to help me to compare fpweb and those web framework, and give me some suggestions like "which one is better when the project is like xxx...."

Thanks!
I use Win10 + Lazarus 2.2.0 + FPC 3.2.2. All 64bit.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Beginner level question: Why fpWeb?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 10:15:48 am »
I am not sticking my head in a hornest nest but basically:
1. fpweb is fully written in Pascal and well maintained by the FPC development team. That means it has an advantage if you have a good understanding of Pascal and it is easier to debug from Lazarus.
2. other frameworks may be just as good.
3. I would also have a look at pas2js and the frameworks that it supports..

Note that I almost exclusively use fpweb as a basis for my own needs, but I often use a different framework for commercial applications (often customer requirement under the motto: industry standards) and often interface with PHP and JavaScript code. Sometimes even interface with Java, using the FPC Java compiler. (Yes, fpc can generate Java byte code, interchangable with a Java program, or the other way around, can use Java modules/classes in an fpc main program.)
Pascal alternatives are also Indy and Synapse.
All have different requirements. You must also distinguish between Visual parts and your low-level client and server parts, Often you will mix and match for what is needed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:18:09 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

yus

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 12:21:34 pm »
In the development of WEB applications, the FPC is great for writing the backend.

It is a powerful, fast, compiled language that uses a minimum amount of resources.

It will easily allow you to work with databases on the server side, process large amounts of data, process requests from WEB clients (REST or websocket) and return the required result.

senglit

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 04:55:15 am »
In the development of WEB applications, the FPC is great for writing the backend.

It is a powerful, fast, compiled language that uses a minimum amount of resources.

It will easily allow you to work with databases on the server side, process large amounts of data, process requests from WEB clients (REST or websocket) and return the required result.

After days of thinking I got the same answer as yours :)

I am going to start a new project with PLC, database and web browser. I decided to use FPC to develop the backend and nodejs as the frontend. I think this is the best choice. Another advantage of FPC is that I do not need to open my source code to client :D
I use Win10 + Lazarus 2.2.0 + FPC 3.2.2. All 64bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018