Forum > Debugger

[SOLVED] BackTraceStrFunc slow in Laz 2.2.0/FPC 3.2.2

(1/2) > >>

Mimmo:
Hello,
working on the new Lazarus 2.2.0 and FPC 3.2.2 I've found that the execution of the BackTraceStrFunc function is really slower than with previous FPC 3.0.4.
In my tests, changes to optimization option, debugger (lazDebugger - GDB) and debug information types seem not to affect the performance.
Moreover I've found that:
* first time an exception is raised and traced -> BackTraceStrFunc is really slow
* every subsequent exception raised and traced -> BackTraceStrFunc returns to be as fast as with FPC 3.0.4
Any idea?
TIA,
Domenico

ccrause:
Do you mean that BackTraceStrFunc itself is slow, or that stepping into or over BackTraceStrFunc calls during debugging in Lazarus is slow?

If the latter, try using fpdebug (package LazDebuggerFp) in place of gdb.  Fpdebug is noticable faster than gdb when debugging in Lazarus.

Mimmo:

--- Quote from: ccrause on January 11, 2022, 10:07:40 am ---Do you mean that BackTraceStrFunc itself is slow, or that stepping into or over BackTraceStrFunc calls during debugging in Lazarus is slow?

--- End quote ---

The BackTraceStrFunc itself is slow, both during debug and when a compiled application is executed.

marcov:
(backtraces depend on binary format, so it could be good to mention your OS)

Mimmo:

--- Quote from: marcov on January 11, 2022, 12:06:30 pm ---(backtraces depend on binary format, so it could be good to mention your OS)

--- End quote ---

Sure, sorry! It's windows 10 64 bit. I'm going to perform the same tests on Linux (Xubuntu) too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version