Recent

Author Topic: Show unread not showing unread  (Read 7738 times)

440bx

Show unread not showing unread
« on: January 07, 2022, 09:21:05 pm »
Hello,

Often when I click on "Show unread", it shows an empty list even though there are unread topics.  A bit worrisome is that, it doesn't always happen, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, why the difference, I have no idea.

Attached is a screen snapshot of a case where the "Show unread" showed an empty list while there are unread topic on the right hand side.

Has anyone else experienced this ?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:55:20 pm by 440bx »
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

dseligo

Re: Show unread not showing unread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 09:52:46 pm »
I noticed that, and I think it's when someone only change existing post and there isn't new post (and you've read that posts already). That doesn't explain 'MOVED' post.

engkin

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 10:52:09 pm »
I kinda got the impression it meant "unread today".

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 11:57:22 pm »
Hello,

Often when I click on "Show unread", it shows an empty list even though there are unread topics.  A bit worrisome is that, it doesn't always happen, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, why the difference, I have no idea.

Attached is a screen snapshot of a case where the "Show unread" showed an empty list while there are unread topic on the right hand side.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

I think this works with date time, the date time since your last visit there was no new stuff, doesn't matter if you read it or not.

440bx

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 01:11:11 am »
I think this works with date time, the date time since your last visit there was no new stuff, doesn't matter if you read it or not.
Before it used to list all unread items, now there are times when it doesn't (as the screenshot shows)

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

engkin

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 01:40:01 am »
Per your screenshot,  "click here to try all unread topics".

440bx

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 02:06:33 am »
Per your screenshot,  "click here to try all unread topics".
I had not noticed that.

Since you pointed that out, I figured I'd try it and clicked on "Show unread" (on the left hand side menu) and it showed me all the unread messages (as it used to) without having to click on ""click here to try all unread topics" (which was not even present.)  IOW, in that particular instance, it worked as it used to.

Now that you've pointed out that "click here to try all unread topics", I'll be on the lookout for it when the list is empty :)

But, I like the way it used to work. Click "Show unread" and it showed all the unread messages without having to click on anything else.

Attached is a screenshot of what I got this time (which is what I used to get)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 02:14:04 am »
I remember having had that same issue many years back. I am not aware that I changed something, I used to go for the "all unread".
I have no idea why for me it has not happened since. Until now I believed it to be fixed (assuming it had to be fixed?). But apparently ... and I guess, if its been there for so long, then it may be meant to be this way...

440bx

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 02:24:35 am »
I remember having had that same issue many years back. I am not aware that I changed something, I used to go for the "all unread".
I have no idea why for me it has not happened since. Until now I believed it to be fixed (assuming it had to be fixed?). But apparently ... and I guess, if its been there for so long, then it may be meant to be this way...
Now that I know about the "click here to try all unread topics", I'll just click on that whenever I get an empty list while I know there are unread messages. 

What I find puzzling is that sometimes it works the way it used to and other times that extra click is needed.  One extra click.. no biggie.

440bx

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 02:29:44 am »
The one thing that concerns me is that sometimes it doesn't show _all_ the unread messages and there is no option to "click here to try all unread topics". 

The attached screenshot shows that there are 4 unread messages but only 3 are listed.  Something is not quite right somewhere.

engkin

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 02:33:05 am »
As per your second and third screenshots,  "All unread topics" moved down below the topics

There are two "sets" of unread topics:
1-For today or since last time, not sure.
2-All.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:35:34 am by engkin »

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 02:44:39 am »
I chose "unread posts" from a sub-forum on the main page, then chose "all unread". Of the three unread posts shown at right, only one appears in the unread list. Definitely not working properly.

[edit]
I notice it changes from "unread posts" to "unread topics" which at first glance seems to explain the difference!

[edit2]
Except when I returned and did the same, it showed me the one new post in this topic which I'd previously read and posted in. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:55:39 am by trev »

440bx

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 03:27:28 am »
As per your second and third screenshots,  "All unread topics" moved down below the topics

There are two "sets" of unread topics:
1-For today or since last time, not sure.
2-All.
I've never had to do that before.

Before, I would just click on "Show unread" and it showed me a list of _all_ unread messages.

The way it's behaving now makes it easy to miss messages and confusing because "Show unread" isn't showing all the unread messages.

And having the distinction between "unread posts" and "unread topics" mentioned by @trev above doesn't help matters either.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your help.  I just think something that is supposed to be very simple is getting a bit more complicated than it actually is.  Reminds of mirrors that read "Objects in mirror are more complicated than they appear".  Maybe the solution is to put the monitor behind me and look at it on a mirror.  I'm going to patent that idea. :)

engkin

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 04:35:30 am »
I've never had to do that before.

Before, I would just click on "Show unread" and it showed me a list of _all_ unread messages.
I am surprised. For me it's been like that for a long time now.  %)

I am not sure, but I think for me the change occured around the time they removed the "Recent Activity" item.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 04:41:36 am by engkin »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 10:49:19 am »
Ok, my guess...

1) https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_view_unread_posts_and_replies
"unread since" is probably: unread since the last visit (log-off?)

2) If it is topics ...
I know the page says "posts"  in some cases...

If it is topics...
has an image, showing 3 out of 4 entries.
The "topic" that is *not* shown, has the "post" with the most recent date (the newest post).

If the 3 other posts fall under "since last log off", then why not this?

Well, if it is topics.

Lets call that topic "A".
If "A" had an earlier post "a(5)" that had been unread (and in turn made "A" unread) *before* the last log-off, then "A" had been unread (and shown as such) at that time.

"A" therefore has *not* become unread since the last log-off. Hence "A" is not on the list. Even though by now the topic "A" has new posts "A(7)", and that post happened after the "seen since last log-off".

So by that rule, it could be explained. Now, I don't know how it really is done.... So this is just one theory.

And, yes, reading the linked doc => I would expect it to be different "opics which have had new posts made in them since the user's last visit".
- Any new post, regardless of pre-existing unread posts.
- But it could be "changed from having no new posts, to having new posts"

Btw, the source of smf can be downloaded. So it can be found out how it works....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:00:41 am by Martin_fr »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018